Spirit of Youth

Creating, promoting and recognizing youth involvement in communities across Alaska. Email the blog at info@spiritofyouth.org.

Wasilla teen speaks out against bullying, receives Spirit of Youth Award - 3/17/2014 11:11 am

North Star Youth Court prosecutor receives Spirit of Youth Award - 3/14/2014 12:49 pm

Young Anchorage entrepreneur designs survival bracelet, receives Spirit of Youth Award - 3/13/2014 11:19 am

Wasilla youth creates special needs pageant, receives Spirit of Youth Award - 3/12/2014 10:05 am

Anchorage youth musician helps homeless teens, receives Spirit of Youth Award - 3/7/2014 10:58 am

Stony River teen fights to keep school open, receives Spirit of Youth Award - 3/5/2014 9:25 am

Kodiak teen to receive Spirit of Youth Award for Science & Environment - 3/3/2014 12:15 pm

Shaktoolik teen receives Spirit of Youth award for ocean bravery - 2/28/2014 9:07 am

Wasilla teen speaks out against bullying, receives Spirit of Youth Award

After years of being bullied in school, 15-year-old Heather Johnson decided to do something about it. The Wasilla teen wrote the book "Hidden Voice: A Story of Discovering Hidden Strengths," which published in 2012.

Heather has been selected as a 2014 Spirit of Youth Award Recipient in the category of Business & Government.

Heather Johnson, 15, is being honored with the 2014 Spirit of Youth Award in Business & GovernmentHeather Johnson, 15, is being honored with the 2014 Spirit of Youth Award in Business & Government

Heather said she wrote the book so that others could learn from her experiences.

"It’s a fictional story that I started writing for fun, partially based on my own experience of bullying. I wrote it to help other kids my age with their self-esteem and confidence issues," Heather said in an interview with KCMN Radio.

Heather was a delegate to the People To People Student Ambassadors Program, member of the National Association of Professional Women and an instructor at last year's Alaska Young Writers Conference.

Learn more about this year's award winners and reserve your seats for the 16th Annual Spirit of Youth Awards Dinner, Saturday, April 5 at the Anchorage Marriott Downtown.