Arts news and views

ArtSnob is your site for fast postings of Daily News reviews, local art happenings and reader feedback.

Drop your comments here, e-mail us at arts@adn.com, or call Arts and Entertainment editor Mike Dunham at (907)-257-4332 or toll-free in Alaska, 800-478-4200, ext. 332.

2 for 1 deal for new musical premiere - 1/7/2013 5:11 pm

'Troyens' repeats Sunday - 1/6/2013 10:19 am

FIRST FRIDAY RAMBLES: Treasures at Two Friends - 1/5/2013 10:53 am

REVIEW: 'FREUD'S LAST SESSION' - 1/4/2013 10:49 am

New CIRQUE is out - 1/3/2013 2:08 pm

Bald soprano to be seen in Anchorage - 1/2/2013 9:50 am

Photographer Mishler looking for Kickstarter boost - 1/1/2013 3:09 pm

REVIEW: 'LAST DAY ON EARTH' - 12/22/2012 2:01 pm

REVIEW: 'IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE'

Helen Spector teaches a basic writing class at UAA and every year arranges for students to catch a play. "We basically buy out the house," she says. Sometimes she has them write about it. This month they attended "It's a Wonderful Life" at Cyrano's and sent in their observations:

-- I loved the play! I was able to get out of my dorm room to meet amazing people and watch a great production. The production team was very gifted and welcoming to the whole audience.

-- The smaller theater gave a sense of closeness between the audience and the actors. I was also surprised at how well the actors portrayed their characters. George Bailey for instance, was played so well.

-- Even my boyfriend, who I brought with me, liked it a lot, and would now like to go to more plays.

-- I also thought that the young brunette actress was so beautiful; the Christmas tree would not be as bright if she was not present.

-- I really enjoyed the whole night and really wish that every day would be just like that. The community, people, and atmosphere bring me a wonderful life.

-- My favorite part of the play would have to be the props they had. All of the little things that make a certain noise that painted a picture in your head of what was going on, that was truly amazing to me.

-- The sound effects were just so cool.

-- I loved this play in every way possible. The actors were amazing at what they were doing and they made the production actually seem like we were back in the day watching a performance over the radio. The theatre itself was very warm and cozy and the cheese platter was to die for!

-- One thing that made me happy was the applause sign. I have always wanted to be in an audience with a sign like that.

-- I watched each of the actors, wondering how in the world they were able to act as different characters. It was amazing!

-- After that thought, I had an epiphany; this is why they’re called actors, because they’re capable of doing such these type of stuff, like disguising their voices and making it look so real or in other words, sound real because it’s a radio play. I WISH I COULD DO THAT!

-- People could buy something to eat or a glass of wine. I felt like I was in an upper class performance, it was very stylish.

-- I like that the theater was small and that I could get the front seat without paying extra money for it.

-- I loved it. I loved it because of how unique it was. It was my first experience at an event like this, and to spend it with my significant other was even better.

-- I was surprised that play touched my heart. Actually that was the first time to watch a professional play in my life.

-- We had a wonderful night.

-- The way the cast can change their voices to play the different characters is really neat to watch. The guy that played the main character did a really good job.

-- The people who work at Cyrano’s are very friendly and welcoming.

-- We as the audience had the feeling that we were actually in the story.

-- I felt like I was back in the old days.

-- My favorite was the brunette who played Mary and the gentleman who played Potter. He had a deep voice and did a fantastic job on being in character. There was something hypnotizing about the way he performed. The woman who played Mary was just adorable. Her smile was inviting and she had this twinkle in her eye that had you paying attention to her. Overall they were all good and did an excellent job.

-- Watching my daughter’s face glow with awe and amusement made me feel as if I underpaid for my ticket.

-- If I were going to rate the play from 1 to 10 I would give it a number of 100.

-- This presentation helped me to remember to enjoy my blessings. I realize life can weigh a person down, but life is a gift. I love my life and I love this play.

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.