Independent traveler

Love to travel, but hate tours? This blog offers insight on how to go it alone, from safe accommodations to seeing the best, and maybe the worst. After all, independent travel is an adventure. Flexibility and traveling on a budget are critical. No five-stars or all-inclusives. So hop aboard. Learn to enjoy travel at your own pace and price. Meet other adventurers like yourself and mingle with the locals. Remember: You may travel alone, but you wonʼt be lonely. gloria.independenttraveler@gmail.com

The “Land of Enchantment”, New Mexico, Pecos National Historical Park. - 9/22/2012 4:27 pm

All border crossings are not created equal... - 8/19/2012 7:58 am

Avoid Interstates, enjoy travel through middle America... - 8/12/2012 6:12 am

Right now is the best time to travel the Alaska Highway. - 8/4/2012 5:45 pm

Fifty Shades of Grey becoming a travel phenomenon. - 7/29/2012 6:46 am

Winners of the annual Independent Traveler Photo Contest... - 7/21/2012 10:00 pm

Independent Traveler photo contest, submit your favorite travel photo here... - 7/1/2012 10:38 am

How to get a good seat on your next flight. - 6/24/2012 9:26 am

Right now is the best time to travel the Alaska Highway.

Where's all the traffic? And no bugs!!! Photo courtesy of Ingrid MaschmeyerWhere's all the traffic? And no bugs!!! Photo courtesy of Ingrid Maschmeyer

With wildlife sightings up and highway traffic down not to mention the bug population, now is my favorite time to take a trip Along the Alaska Highway.

I’ve been numerous times and every year it is different. This year, for whatever reason, traffic is down and the animals know it. You don’t have to go far to appreciate this unique destination.
Stone mountain sheep hightailing it down the highway. Photo courtesy of Ingrid MaschmeyerStone mountain sheep hightailing it down the highway. Photo courtesy of Ingrid Maschmeyer

To get to the Highway, take the Glenn Highway out of Anchorage to Glennallen, make a left on the Richardson Highway and then take the Tok cutoff. You’re there.

Or if you are headed out of Fairbanks, take the Richardson Highway to Delta Junction the official terminus of the highway or the beginning, however you like to look at the glass.

My favorite close destination Along the Alaska Highway is Haines Junction, Yukon, the jumping off spot for Canada’s Kluan National Park. Here you can stay or camp at nearby Kathleen Lake. It’s spectacular and a reminder of why we all love this part of the world. Plus it’s only a two day drive away from Anchorage.

If you have the time, Muncho Lake, B.C. in Northern BC is my next choice with a stop at Laird Hot Springs, B.C. along the way. While four days plus away from Anchorage the scenery in between is remarkable and as I’ve mentioned, this year, you are bound to see numerous bear, bison, stone sheep and who knows what else.

Given that Highway traffic is down, you will also be helping out the local highway vendors who depend on summer traffic to make their year-round income. They are great people and a real perk of travel Along the Alaska Highway.