Is Brown Bear meat EDIBLE?

How many people eat Brown Bear meat?
Is it good?
Any recipes?

How about the heart, liver, etc?

Change .........of subject!

November 6, 2008 - 4:50pm | Twiddledee

Methinks

He was referring to your preference for not dining a la nude.

flag this »

November 6, 2008 - 5:41pm | t_ysarren

me thinks also you been gone too long...! You okay, dear?

?

flag this »

November 7, 2008 - 10:36am | desaerica

If you mean me, t_ysarren, yes, I'm happy beyond words.

"Cause of the election and all. Now back to bear meat. Martha Stewart should do a show from here.

flag this »

4     November 6, 2008 - 8:11am | CYNICKING

I've tried it

but it wasn't very good. I have heard that if browns have been eating berries and other plants, the meat is not bad but most of the bears around here eat fish. That makes the meat taste a lot like rotted fish. Black bear is the same way but it is easier to find black bear closer that have been eating mostly plants. I love black bear meat and fall bear is usually pretty sweet and juicy (lots of grease).

flag this »

3     November 6, 2008 - 8:04am | Frost_bite

I don't know a lot of folks that do.

I shot a grizzly up north of Kotzebue in 2007. When I checked the hide in, I was talking to the biologist and he asked if I tried any of the meat? He said that some folks eat the hind quarters, but he said it's an acquired taste. I didn't try any by the way. I do eat black bear. I prefer it in something spiced up a bit (chili, lasagna etc) as I find it to be just a touch gamey otherwise.

I would caution you against eating the liver. I know that polar bear liver has extremely high levels of vitamin E that will make you extremely sick. Don't know if that applies to brown bears, but you couldn't get me to eat it. Give me a good ol calf liver anytime!

flag this »

November 6, 2008 - 1:36pm | desaerica

Here's a recipe for calf liver, Frost_bite......

Sprinkle liver with tobasco sauce (liberally) after cutting into chunks. Add sea salt, course pepper, roll pieces in flour and fry until crispy. Add onion (chunks) and fry. Remove grease and add water to deglaze pan. Add tomato paste and cayenne pepper and salt. Simmer. Serve over boiled potato chunks with fresh green beans on the side and a thick slice of buttered homemade bread. Preferably the heel. Best eaten in winter to keep against the cold.

flag this »

2     November 6, 2008 - 6:40am | ahclem

Tried Brown Bear

Before but it was a LONG time ago. Back in the 60's the lodge up by king mountian would throw a big free feed with meat from the hunts of some profesional guides in the area. I always thought that it tasted like pork as long as the bear had only been eating berries. Black bear is good also as I do get that from time to time, have had a chance to smoke some roasts in my fish smoker using alder chips. YUM,YUM

flag this »

1     November 5, 2008 - 11:23pm | believe_me_you

Brown Bear Meat/Fat

Great change of subject!

I never ate a lot of brown bear, or black bear for that matter. The Athabaskans in the village where I spent a lot of my childhood weren't too keen on it. But, damned, bear fat makes the best, I repeat, the best pie crust. My friend here at the local saloon confirms that brown bear fat is the best, in terms of the viscosity of the rendered fat. The highest viscosity . . . the best pastry lard ever. Try it sometime, if one of your fortes happens to be baking. My mother never could get pie crusts down until some good bear fat came along. If you google three words, bear fat pastry, there's a lot more to learn. For example, I just found out that it is "prized by French pastry chefs as the finest lard available, costing up to $50.00 a pound . . ." For recipes visit www.bowhunting.net/susieq/bear.html. Thanks for the questions! Alayeksa aka Eartha

flag this »

November 5, 2008 - 11:48pm | rob12000

I got lost hunting

on Shuyak Island. I ended up starting a fire on the beach, but the wood was covered in ice and snow and wouldn't burn very good. I had a nice size Sitka Blacktail buck. I trimmed some of the fat from it and placed it in the fire. It had that fire raging in no time. I was able to keep it hot enough to dry the wood i had gathered and stay warm through the night.

flag this »

November 6, 2008 - 7:52am | BengalTiger

That was pretty intuitive my friend!

I got stranded out by Windy Bay awhile back.

The tide started going back out when I realized that my motor wouldn't start so I threw my anchor in not realizing that I had done so right before a 121 fathom abyss! (about 700')

So, in panick mode I looked for paddles but to no avail because I didn't have any! ( I had borrowed my friends skiff and assumed that nothing would go wrong )

It just so happened that a charter boat was in the area and towed me back to town.

Moral of story, ALWAYS be prepared!

flag this »

November 5, 2008 - 11:53pm | Alaskin

Wow! Rob

That sounds like NO FUN!
Good thinking though!

Good thing to remember.

flag this »

November 6, 2008 - 12:47am | rob12000

I also found out

that i could heat up the flat slate rocks and made a heated "bed" to lay out on beside the fire. The rocks would hold the heat for quite a while.

flag this »