Theft Conviction Job Hunt

Hi,

I'm new on here and have been reading weekly trying to decide if I really want to even post this.. I do.. I'm sure if it belongs (probably not), if not then I'm sure it will be removed and no worries to anyone..

Okay so let me get to the point. I have a theft conviction on my record. It was from 3 years ago and I'm not proud of what I did.. who would be! but I'm not hiding from it and I'm trying to make it right. I admit my mistake. The problem I'm having is finding a job. I believe I have a powerful resume, however I can't find a job selling flowers on the corner.

Yes I know it is going to be tough. Yes I know I was wrong. But I need to work. I need to support my family.

How does one move on?? I think about it everyday.. of course I should.

I get so many calls about my resume but when it comes down to the "application" process I get on the black list.

I've googled, and researched.. How do I move on..

okay so this is sort of a vent.. But I just don't know where to turn. I see the disappointment in my husbands face. I'm ashamed. I hate that he and my son is suffering from my one careless mistake.

so any help that would point me in the right direction will be great.

5     October 10, 2008 - 11:08am | hey_georgie_girl_98

ccm....

Start your own business!

flag this »

4     October 10, 2008 - 10:49am | akorchid

Nabors Drilling

might hire you. They seem to give criminals even felons, etc. . . . a second chance and is an approved employer by Probation Officers. You MUST pass a drug test or your out of luck.

flag this »

3     October 10, 2008 - 8:30am | Frost_bite

You situation isn't all that uncommon

although it does make things a tad bit more complicated. My advice, for what it's worth, is to work with an agency such as Careerbuilders or the like. Certainly they have extensive experiences working with clients in similar situations (strong candidates, but with a glitch here or there). No matter what, keep your chin up, and stay positive. Good luck.

flag this »

2     October 10, 2008 - 6:39am | phantomenace

As you'll unlikely be able to dodge this fact

given the empoyment forms, I'd suggest you attach a short personal letter explaining how you've grown from your mistake.
I think there ARE good people out there (some with a record themselves) who would be eager to grant a fresh start to a serious and determined employee

(unless your crime was embezzlement, then probably all bets are off! sorry for my tasteless humor)

Good luck to you :)

flag this »

October 10, 2008 - 8:15am | AkBrat

Phantom has a wonderful idea!

Attach that explanation letter (keep it short and to the point though) and if possible make a point to speak personally with the HR director or whoever is hiring. Put the person you are today forward and make them forget the person you were. Good luck and nice to see you have turned yourself around and learned from it all.

flag this »

1     October 10, 2008 - 12:53am | rob12000

If the theft was a misdemeanor

you might not have to report it on your resume. But even if it is a felony, depending on where you are applying, they might not legally be able to reject you based solely on your conviction. From what i've seen on the web, i would maybe think of hiring a lawyer. You might be able to find one, for around $250 who'll consult with you about where you can work, and even call prospective employers on your behalf, informing them about discrimination.

This is a good post, i'm sure you'll get lots of ideas and replies. This is something that should be discussed.

You should be allowed to move on. We all make mistakes.

flag this »

October 10, 2008 - 2:18am | carriedavid1995

No one has to hire someone that has a record

You will either have to lie on your applications and as soon as they find out they will fire you. Or you will have to find a small business willing to over look it. I suggest you make you husband face fact that you may not be able to work or get work for a long long time. He will have to be the bread winner or leave. That one mistake will be with you for life, you will always have a hard time finding work. Do you blame employers for not trusting you. Would you hire someone who was a thief? when their is someone standing in line for the job who is not an ex criminal who do you think they are going to hire. or better yet if it was your business who would you hire the criminal or the other applicant

flag this »

October 10, 2008 - 8:50am | Frost_bite

ccm_crystal

carriedavid doesn't have a clue. So much of what's in this person's post is complete bunk. The hiring manager is looking for the right person for the job, you simply must convince them that you are the right person. Your past indiscretion/record is no different than poor grades on a transcript. It doesn't define you, it's simply a record of something that happened in the past.

As for you carriedavid...what the heck is wrong with you? Crystal simply asked for helpful suggestions, and you go and kick her in the head like that? What's wrong, couldn't find and dogs to kick today? Pathetic!

flag this »

October 10, 2008 - 8:36am | jimyeo

Wow carriedavid,

thats COLD. Way to help out someone that's trying to clean up their life.
I take it you've never made any bad calls?
Must be nice to be perfect.

flag this »

October 11, 2008 - 4:51am | kattyjones

jimyeo

Yes every person deserves a chance.

MCCAIN/PALIN

flag this »