AK Root Cellar

Pete Kinneen grew up in a family conscious of the magic of composting food scraps and yard waste for use in their organic gardens. He is the executive director of Environmental Recycling, Inc. the non-profit which operated the Pt. Woronzof Composting Facility for 15 successful years. He has joined a global discovery exploring the possibility of another natural and inexpensive ingredient found to kick convention to the curb. Join in, the more the merrier.

Climate Change is Caused by Democrats - 11/23/2011 9:23 pm

Moving From Alternative Energy to Climate Change - 8/16/2011 11:36 pm

Answer to cat_train2 - 8/13/2011 2:31 pm

Fire Island Alternative Energy - 7/31/2011 8:47 pm

Yakutat and Fire Island - 6/30/2011 1:49 pm

Yakutat: Alaska's Clean Energy Mecca? - 6/9/2011 10:02 pm

Fuel-Free Energy and Free Fresh Fish - 5/30/2011 6:53 pm

Mushrooms Improve Hamburgers and Nuclear Waste - 5/11/2011 3:32 pm

South Anchorage Farmers’ Market

South Anchorage Farmers’ Market Reporter Alison Arians, has been busy, really busy! in addition to baking zillions of loaves of bread each week she writes this newsletter.

Below is the 12th Edition for the season.

beetsbeets

WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

Issue #12

Thursday, July 24

Hello!

THE VEGGIES ARE REALLY HERE!

Have you been wondering about whether the zucchinis were ever going to arrive? Or if we would see cabbages, cauliflower, and broccoli before September? Well this week the farmers’ stands were overflowing with all our favorite things!!

Last Saturday, A.D. Farms had bundles of beautiful beets! And if you got there early, he still had eggs! He’s got a blue cooler full of Alaskan cheese, and so many colors of beautiful tomatoes, too. Stockwell Farms had a brand-new product: fennel! And new potatoes, too! And collards, napa cabbages, and turnips. Rempel Family Farms had cabbages, piles of carrots, collard greens, and I think I might have seen bags of sugar snap peas that were snapped up by the first customers of the morning!

The broccoli showed up in cases at A&M Farms’ stand, along with huge, gorgeous zucchinis! I’ll be buying a couple of cases of broccoli soon to freeze for this winter--check out our South Anchorage Farmers’ Market website for instructions on how to blanch and freeze that broccoli! Then you can be eating locally all winter! Here’s the web page with the instructions: South Anchorage Farmers Market

Here’s a list of the vegetables I’ve seen at the market—but there are new things arriving all the time!

arugula | basil | beet greens | beets, red | broccoli | cabbage, green | cabbage, napa | carrots | cauliflower | chard | cilantro | collards | cress | cucumbers, pickles | cucumbers, slicers | daikon | dill | fennel | kale, lacinato | kale, red russian | kohlrabi | lettuce, buttercrunch | lettuce, red | lettuce, romaine | mustard, mizuna | mustard, red | mustard, tatsoi | onions, green | parsley, italian | potatoes, butterball | radishes | rhubarb | salad green mixture | shingiku | sorrel | spinach | squash, blossoms | strawberries | sugar snap peas | tomatoes, cherry | tomatoes, red | tomatoes, yellow | turnip greens | turnips (white, snow apple) | zucchini blossoms | zucchini, green | zucchini, yellow

ANTIQUE TRACTOR SHOW

For the third year in a row, the antique tractors will be at the farmers’ market on Saturday! Come check them out—you and your kids will love it. Market stalls will be a little bit rearranged this Saturday because of the tractors, so make sure you look around carefully for the vendors you’re used to finding. Step out of your usual routine and really look around at what’s there this week! You’ll find new things at ‘most every stand, I bet!

WEBSITE

Want to see photos of all this beautiful produce? Check out recipes for how to use this delicious bounty? Check out our new And starting this week, the recipes are going to become a sort of a ‘blog! That’s to say, if you go to the website, go to the recipe section, and if you’d like to say something about a particular recipe, you can add your comment right there! If you liked it, or if you didn’t—if you had an interesting twist on the recipe that you wanted to share… Please check it out! I’d love to hear from you!

And… are there any aspiring documentarians or news reporters out there? If you’d like to make a video of the farmers’ market, we’d love to show it through the Web site on YouTube! Let me know if you’re interested!

Speaking of Web site-driven media, I’ve just been asked to use some of my farmers’ market photos in a story about the health benefits of broccoli on NowPublic! What a hoot! If you want to check out the story (and my comment—it’s first on the list), here’s the link. Now Public.com

My photos are way down on the queue, though… you can see my farmers’ market photos better on Flickr under “akfarmersmarket.” I’ll explain more about Flickr in an upcoming newsletter, if you’re interested.

I’m having such a good time learning about all these internet networking things… And I’m having fun sharing them with you, too!

RECIPES

You know what is just knocking my socks off these days? The lettuce and salad greens… salad mix, romaine, arugula, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce… I can come home with 6 heads of it, wash it all in my sink, dry it in the salad spinner, pack it in big plastic bags, and then I’m all set for the week! I can feed the masses at the drop of a hat with this many greens stored in my ‘fridge. So, I’ve given you two versions of a Caesar salad!

Then I’ve added a recipe for chard-- sautéed rainbow chard recipe, that includes the stems. I love chard. It’s so sweet and yummy—none of the bitterness of collards or turnip greens (which, by the way, I also love), but unlike spinach, it doesn’t wilt down to a fraction of its former self when you cook it. Plus you can eat the stems. What could be better!?! The recipe is a very easy, and VERY DELICIOUS. I like to serve this chard with a bean salad of some kind, so I’m including one of my favorites—a chickpea salad with kalamata olives. It’s very simple, and very yummy!

yummy organic breadyummy organic bread
BREAD

It’s Rise & Shine Bakery’s one-year anniversary! The end of last July was our first day selling bread at the farmers’ market. To celebrate this auspicious event, we’re making the FRUITED ALMOND bread, packed with golden raisins, dried apricots, and cranberries. (You know we always like to associate a festive occasion with the fruited almond bread.)

And another reason to celebrate (for me, anyway); this week Rise & Shine Bakery is back to our 100% whole wheat ALASKAN POTATO BREAD! These big pan loaves are similar to our 100% whole wheat SOURDOUGH LEVAIN (which we’re also baking), but have an extra moistness and keeping quality because of the addition of the Valley-grown potatoes. I love this bread the best of all our breads (I’ll be freezing 10 loaves for myself for the next 3 weeks). If you love the levain, but haven’t tried the potato yet, give it a try!

Our specialty loaves this week will include the ALASKAN CHEESE & ROASTED GARLIC bread, made with cheese from Cranberry Ridge Farms in Wasilla. If you toast slices of this bread, it’s like a cross between a toasted cheese sandwich and garlic bread! It’s a fun treat alongside pasta or soups or salad. We’re also baking the TOASTED SEED bread, packed with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, and a little polenta. It’s 100% whole grain, and just the heartiest, tastiest bread you can find.

Don’t forget that after this week, Rise & Shine Bakery is taking a week off. We WILL be at the market this Saturday (July 26), but not on August 2. So make sure and buy any extra that you’ll need to freeze while we’re gone!

FARMERS’ MARKET COOKBOOK

Have you been wondering if this cookbook is really up your alley? Would you like to see photos of some of these supposedly delicious AND healthy recipes before you take the plunge and spend your hard-earned $15 for the book and the really cool wire book holder? You can check out lots of the recipes on the Web site, complete with photos! Here are some examples. Just click on them and the link will take you to the recipe:

Peach-Almond SaladPeach-Almond Salad
peach-almond salad

avocado toast

breakfast toast with peaches and almond butter

broccoli with golden raisins

spicy roasted cauliflower with red peppers and cumin

Carrot_Mint SaladCarrot_Mint Salad
carrot-mint salad with currants

You can also read more information about the cookbook at: South Anchorage Farmers' Market.

The South Anchorage Farmers’ Market Cookbook is filled with 100 pages of delicious, healthy recipes that showcase our flavorful, fresh local Alaskan produce. Recipes provide inspiration for ways to use Alaskan vegetables, fish, fruits, bread, and other products that can be found at our farmers’ markets. The cookbook focuses on vegetable recipes that have fantastic flavor and top-notch nutritional value. And if you’re wondering about how to process our Alaskan produce to freeze for the winter, the book has instructions!

SEAFOOD

Arctic Choice Seafoods will have all kinds of fresh, delicious, Alaskan fish! Here’s a list of what they are likely to have.

fresh king salmon | fresh sablefish | fresh rockfish | fresh halibut | fresh clams | fresh oysters | halibut cheeks | king crab | snow crab | spot shrimp | side stripe | shrimp | Dungeness crab | scallops | smoked salmon bellies

Saturday South Anchorage Farmers' Market

Dates: May 10-October 4

Hours: 9am-2pm

Location: Subway/Cellular One Sports Centre at the corner of Old Seward and O'Malley

Wednesday South Anchorage Farmers' Market

Dates: July 2- October 1

Hours: 10am-4pm

Location: behind the Dimond Center, in front of the Dimond Center Hotel

Please pass this email along to anyone you think might be interested in receiving the weekly market news—they can email me, Alison Arians, at safm@gci.net if they’d like to be added to our newsletter list.

For more information about the market, contact Arthur Keyes, South Anchorage Farmers' Market Manager, at 907-354-5833, or at amkeyes@mtaonline.net.

Please respond to this email if you’d like to be removed from the newsletter list.

Cheers! And see you at the market!

Alison Arians

Farmers’ Market Reporter

RISE & SHINE BAKERY

Long Term Baking Schedule, July 2008

26 July

pan loaves—100% whole wheat sourdough levain, Alaskan baked potato

hearth loaves: toasted seed, Alaskan cheese & garlic, fruited almond

2 August: OFF

9 August

pan loaves: 100% whole wheat sourdough levain, Alaskan barley, raisin & pecan

hearth loaves: fresh rosemary, Alaskan onion rye

16 August

pan loaves: 100% whole wheat sourdough levain, Alaskan baked potato

hearth loaves: toasted walnut, Alaskan cheese & roasted garlic, Alaskan carrot & raisin

23 August

pan loaves: 100% whole wheat sourdough levain, golden maize

hearth loaves: kalamata olive, Alaskan onion rye, dark chocolate & cherry

RECIPES

Since I can only use plain text in this email, I know the recipes are not always the easiest to read. If you’d like to see these recipes in a format that’s a little richer, please visit the Web site You can click on the “related recipes” at the bottom of the newsletter on the home page, or just search the recipes in the little box on the sidebar or on the “recipes” page.

CAESAR SALAD,
caesar saladcaesar salad

This is a fun salad—and it makes a head of romaine into a complete meal. You can make a double batch of this dressing and refrigerate the leftovers in a jar for a meal later in the week, so you’re cooking once for two dinners.

If you’re in a rush, or if you’re eating leftover dressing and don’t want to heat up the oven for making croutons again, you can make “cheater croutons.” Just toast the bread nice and crispy and cut it into cubes. It’ll still be good, just not as fancy!

It’s a great dish for company, and it’s very easy to bring it along to a potluck dinner—just bring all the components separately, and don’t dress the salad until you’re ready to sit down and eat. (Otherwise, the lettuce will wilt before you eat it.) It’s based on a recipe from Peggy Knockerbocker’s book Olive Oil: From Tree to Table.

I generally just serve this as an entire dinner, because who wants to eat anything else? However, if you feel you need a little extra protein, it’s very nice topped with slices of grilled chicken breast or halibut (season with salt and pepper before grilling).

Dressing

half of a 2-ounce tin of oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained, rinsed and blotted dry on paper towels

3 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely

1 egg (optional)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil

fresh-ground pepper

In a food processor or blender, combine the anchovies and garlic and process to mix. Add the egg, most of the lemon juice, and the mustard and process to combine. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil in a thin, steady stream. Season with pepper and process again. Taste, and add as much of the remaining lemon juice as needed to get a good balance of flavors. Refrigerate until you’re ready to eat.

Garlicky whole-grain croutons

5 slices hearty whole-grain bread

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed in a garlic press

¼ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mash the garlic with the salt in the bottom of a medium-sized bowl. Stir in the olive oil. Cut the slices of bread into ½” cubes and toss them in the garlicky oil until the oil is thoroughly absorbed and distributed.

2. Spread the bread cubes out on a baking sheet and bake for 15-25 minutes, until the croutons are crispy and golden-brown.

Salad
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 to 2 large heads romaine lettuce, or 3 hearts of romaine

fresh ground pepper to taste

1. While the croutons are baking, wash the lettuce, dry the leaves and tear into pieces, and place in a large salad bowl.

2. When you’re ready to sit down and eat, drizzle some of the dressing over the leaves and toss, adding more dressing as needed until all the leaves are coated. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, toss again to mix, and then toss in the croutons. Sprinkle with pepper and serve right away, before the lettuce wilts.

RAINBOW CHARD SAUTÉED WITH CHARD STEMS AND ONIONS

You’re going to love this recipe with the fresh chard from the market! You can use rainbow chard, or red chard, or (my favorite) Swiss chard for this recipe.

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, diced

sea salt or kosher salt

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 bunches rainbow chard, stems diced into ½-inch pieces and leaves washed and sliced into 1-inch slices

1. Heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and the chard stems over medium heat with a teaspoon of salt until tender, adding a couple tablespoons of water every now and then when the pan dries out and the vegetables start sticking. You can cover the pan with a lid for this part if you like. This will probably take about 10 minutes.

2. Add the garlic and sauté for another couple of minutes. Then add the chard leaves and sauté for another 5-10 minutes, until the chard leaves are lovely and tender. Taste for salt, and add more to taste.

CHICKPEA SALAD WITH KALAMATA OLIVES

I love this recipe! It’s based on one in Patricia Wells’ Bistro Cooking. It’s so easy (once you cook the chickpeas—and that’s just letting them simmer for a while on the stove), and so delicious! I haven’t tried it with canned chickpeas—let me know if it tastes good, if you try it! You can make a lot of chickpeas at once and then freeze them, ready to make salads. Or you can make this salad and then freeze the leftovers! It makes quite a bit, but it keeps well in the ‘fridge and freezes nicely. You can always halve the recipe if you don’t want to make so much—but why? It’s hardly any more bother to make the big batch and have it for later!

This is a great salad in which to use the really good olive oil you’ve been saving for a special occasion. If you don’t already have some really good stuff, they sure have a nice variety at Summit Spice & Tea Co., at 1120 E. Huffman Road.

For the chickpeas

3 cups dried chickpeas, soaked at least 4 hours or overnight

1 onion, quartered

4 garlic cloves, peeled

2 bay leaves

1. Drain the chickpeas. Put them in a pot, cover with fresh water by about an inch, and add the onion quarters and garlic and bay leaves. Make sure the water covers the onions. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the chickpeas are completely tender. This could be as short as an hour, or as long as an hour and a half or two. The peas should be quite soft—soft enough to easily mash between your tongue and the roof of your mouth. If you have time, let the chickpeas sit in their cooking liquid and cool—they will absorb more of the flavorful broth and have a creamier texture.

2. Pick out the onions and garlic and bay leaves and discard. Strain the chickpeas, reserving the broth. You won’t need any of the broth for the salad, but it makes fantastic vegetable stock to make soups or stews—freeze it until you’re ready to use it!

For the salad

¼ cup red wine vinegar

10 garlic cloves, finely minced

¼ cup finely chopped minced fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, and parsley (just use whatever you have)

sea salt or kosher salt

freshly-ground pepper

¼ to ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil (to your taste)

1 cup pitted Kalamata olives (or you can use black oil-cured olives, if you can find them)

2 medium onions, finely minced

1. Prepare the vinaigrette: Combine the vinegar, garlic, herbs and a teaspoon of salt. Mix, and slowly whisk in the oil. Season to taste with pepper and more salt, if desired.

2. When the beans are cooked and drained, and while they are still warm (just reheat them if you’ve let them cool), add the olives, onion, and the vinaigrette; toss. Season to taste (they will probably need quite a bit more salt), add more olive oil if you like, and serve. You can serve this salad warm, or at room temperature.

6     January 15, 2009 - 7:15am | aboali4u22

qtryat msryat forums forums.m

qtryat
msryat
forums
forums.msryat
dir
games
up
egypt
english forum
My FrIeNd
a story written in english and its meaning in arabic
lion
yes or no .... game
charles dikens (1
charles dikens (2
Mohamed Zidan Biography
what's in the picture
enter your mode in english
poem : I Miss You
proverps from sondos
• What If I Told You •
The East planet
the present simple tense
cute backgrounds
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 Beta 2
juventus
The House Of The Dead III
Nero Ultra Edition
n73
jack keane
شات
دردشة
دردشة مصرية
شات صوتي
دردشه
شات بنات
مصر
منتديات
منتديات بنات
بنات مصر
منتدي
منتدى
مصر
منتدى تطوير المواقع
منتدى الستالايت
بلوتوث
ماسنجر
مصر
مصر
مصر
مصر
مصر
توبيكات
مسنجر
توبكات
العاب فلاش
العاب كمبيوتر
العاب بنات
ثيمات نوكيا
ثيمات
ثيمات جوال
منتدى الجوال
منتدى البرامج
منتدى البرامج والكمبيوتر
منتدى الطبخ
الحلويات
طبخ المأكولات
قسم الحلويات
قسم المشروبات
قسم السلاطات
شرح تركيب مجلة نيوك
سكربت دليل المواقع
هاك الاعلانات
بلياردو
العاب تلبيس
تلبيس
العاب تلبيس بنات
ثيمات رياضية
ثيمات n95
ثيمات بنات
ثيمات الجيل الثالث
ثيمات فنانين
ثيمات فنانين وفنانات
ثيمات نوكيا n73
ثيمات فنانات
ثيمات n95
n95
احلى ثيمات
احلى منتدى
منتديات ثيمات نوكيا
صور رومانسية للماسنجر
صور رومانسية
حركات ماسنجر
حركات للمسنجر
توبيكات انجليزية
توبيكات انجليزية ملونة
توبيكات راشد الماجد
توبيكات جروحي
صور للماسنجر بنات
صور بنات
توبكات ماسنجر
شات مصري
تعارف
تعارف بنات
دردشة مصرية
بنات قطر
دردشة مصر
كليبات مصرية
فيديو كليب
كليبات
بنات فن
منتديات بنات فن
عطعوط
دردشة قطر
اغانى مصرية
افلام مصرية
افلام
دردشة
دردشة كتابية
دردشة
دردشة مصرية
صور بنات للماسنجر
ياكان يعشقنى
سمايلز للماسنجر
صور رمزية
ابتسامات
توبيكات 2009
توبيكات غرور
توبيكات حب
توبكات غرام
توبيكات عشق
توبيكات حلوة
برامج nokia n73
نغمات اسلامية mp3
نغمات اسلامية
بلوتوثات
محشش
ضحك
نغمات اناشيد
نغمات اناشيد اسلامية
نغمات اناشيد اسلامية mp3
رسائل عتاب
مسجات عتاب
مسجات خيانة
رسائل خيانة
علاج حب الشباب
علاج تساقط الشعر
علاج الزكام
علاج قشرة الشعر
اجنحة الدجاج مع الخضار
اكلات حلوة
اطرق تتبيل المشويات
ريش اللحم المشوى
كانيلونى
سر
لا تتزوج
احذر ان ينكسر قلبك
اكيف نبين لها حبك
االفتاة المصرية والحب
اقوال عن الحب
بدل رجالي
عجائب الرجال
اسرار عن الرجل
اكسسوارات زفاف
فساتين زفاف
تسريحات
لفات طرح
دبل
فساتين متنوعة
ليلة العمر
عراقي
صحة الاسرة
اضرار قلة النوم
عصير التفاح
السهر يزيد الوزن
طريقة تركيب الفلاتر
درس الاطار المزدوج
احلى سعوديه
صمت
همس القوافى
المواضيع العامه
النقاش والحوار
الطريق الى الله
الحور العين
معجزات القرأن الكريم
قصة اصحاب السبت
فضل العلم
منتدى الاسلاميات
صور انمي متحركة
سبيس تون
احلى مدن العالم

flag this »

5     July 25, 2008 - 12:45pm | zippy_pinhead

Don't forget the Anchorage Farmer's Market at 15th & Cordova

It's always our first stop and we're sure to visit Vitali's produce stand ("no chemicals") with all the good things his family grows on their farm. There were carrots last week. Arctic Organics is there with their big spread and 4 or 5 other vendors round out the market offering all sorts of different produce on the north side of town. And last weekend, one lady was just selling 5 different varieties of chards and kales - how cool is that? Fresh oysters from Kachemak Bay, lots of potted perennials, jams and jellies, baked goods and compost tea are available as well.

The adjacent church playground and big grassy fields are a good place to let the kids run awhile before getting back on the bike or into the car and heading home with all that good fresh food. And the ladies from the Lutheran Church serve fresh drip coffee, tea and baked goods.

I really miss the days the farmers' market was at the Daily News parking lot, but good to see the offerings have expanded so that we now have 3 locations choose from for local produce on Saturdays.

flag this »

4     July 25, 2008 - 8:58am | icediver

Newsletter

After looking at the newsletter I am left wondering, is the fresh produce that you are writing about available at all of the different farmers markets? I dont think that I have seen eggplant at the Northway Mall Wednesday Market, it seems like a unique specialty crop. Would it be possible to get a weekly update on what is available at each different market, T.C. Mitchell does a great job of writing the market report but he is not as comprehensive as you are Alison. This newsletter is a bright spot in an otherwise blah summer. Rock on!

flag this »

3     July 25, 2008 - 8:36am | icediver

Newsletter

How do we sign up for the newsletter? is it easy?

flag this »

2     July 25, 2008 - 8:35am | icediver

Newsletter

I was just wondering how many people are taking advantage of the this great opportunity and have signed up for the newsletter?

flag this »

1     July 25, 2008 - 8:27am | icediver

Newsletter!

Alison, Amazing job writing the newsletter, keep up the good work!

flag this »