los anchorage?

it always makes me laugh when people call anchorage los anchorage like its a HUGE city! i know it has problems, gang bangers,idoit drivers etc, but when i lived in denver there were days in the summer when you drove less than ten miles in traffic and by the time you got home you would stink like exhuast! and at night when you can see lights in every direction far as you could see then you know youre in a city, this place would be lucky to be called a suburb in most places! los anchorage? please!!

May 12, 2008 - 1:17pm | nslopeofw

yeah

I can remember driving into anchorage on a thursday night to party at gussy lamoure's and swiftwater bill's for nickel beer and quarter drinks. Never worried about getting shot, either. Used to be able to walk around down on 4th and 5th at night without having to worry about being harassed. Not anymore.........

flag this »

May 12, 2008 - 3:54pm | Twiddledee

how about

How about riding the mechanical bull at Midnight Express?

YEEHAW!

That was back when the "drinking age" was 18. Oh yah, back in the day...

flag this »

May 13, 2008 - 7:45am | Rarctic

Yes, yes, I remember Gussie's and

Swiftwater Bill's and the Midnite Express too...I remember them all! Remember the monkeys at the Monkey Wharf downtown? And the old Pines Club on Tudor Rd? And I fell in love many, many times at both Pierce Street Annex downtown and the old Cabin Tavern in Muldoon... Well thats TMI... Everybody keep moving!

I think the Cabin Tavern may still be there?? I should get over on that side of town just for a good old look-see! Those were wonderful, wonderful days of my past. Ah yes!

P.S. Does anybody know how to add little red hearts to these posts??

flag this »

May 13, 2008 - 9:20pm | tundratess

It is!

The cabin tavern is indeed still there, the whaler is over there too...

flag this »

May 13, 2008 - 8:39am | Twiddledee

try something

let me try something here.....

Nope, didn't work! ;)

flag this »

7     May 5, 2008 - 3:27pm | euro_smash

Denver?

Seriously? My friends and I have a joke that we call certain things "Denver size" (like giant cookies or big trucks) because everyone in Denver thinks it's a HUGE city. Wait til they see NYC or LA or Dallas/Forth Worth.

flag this »

6     May 4, 2008 - 4:45pm | skyhi_greenery1

it won't be long

before Anchorage is a true big city. I give it about another 75 years before we see Anchorage tied although way through Palmer. It will happen.

flag this »

5     May 3, 2008 - 9:08pm | BengalTiger

Anchorage does not reflect true Alaska.

And that's because a lot of the trash we now have here has come here from other places.

True Alaskans hunt, fish, hike and enjoy the vast wilderness of Alaska.

The low life gang banging wanna be punks you see driving around are nothing more than garbage that has somehow missed the landfill and ended up here in Anchorage instead...

flag this »

4     May 3, 2008 - 10:17am | digitaldot

If you think Anchorage

is like LA, Try living in Hawaii. God I hate it here. It is crowed, dirty, smelly, and is the most racist place I have ever been. If you leave ANYTHING in your car ANYWHERE your windows will be smashed and it will be taken. And the COPS have, get this, a 15% success rate for solving MAJOR crimes. That is 85 percent unsolved, and they say it is cuz the tourist commit most crimes. Who goes on vacation to commit a crime? Oh, but the weather is nice, and I have met a few nice people here, but the beaches are gross and I can't wait to go home. Never sign an employment contract.

flag this »

3     May 3, 2008 - 9:34am | whoflungpou

Been there / done that

I call it that because having spent time there (southern Ca) it reminds me of Los Angeles. The gang violence, the traffic, the RUDE people etc. Los Anchorage has well earned the name.

flag this »

2     May 3, 2008 - 6:03am | kenairiverbandit

I grew up....

30 miles outside los angeles......you are correct in using the term Relative......but anchorage is way worse than los angeles relatively speaking.....per capita anchorage was worse stats than most inner cities........i have lived in alaska since the first of 95 and can count on both hands how many times i have passed through or visited anchorage from the kenai peninsula.....there is good reason for that.....it reminds me too much of where i grew up.......a concrete and asphalt jungle with mass amounts of people seemingly going nowhere fast......for 3 months of the year here on the peninsula, the conditions are pretty much the same as anchorage, so i plan not to be on the road during daylight hours......during the heat of the summer it can take as much as a half hour to get through soldotna, although since the bridge was rebuilt and a traffic light was added in front of trustworthy the traffic flows much better through town......one could say, tourists go home and stop crowding my home......conversely, one should never leave were they are, limiting their impact to another area....anyway, its going to be great weather all weekend here on the peninsula and spirits are looking up.....have a great one all

flag this »

May 3, 2008 - 12:38pm | tundratess

I agree with your points,

I agree with your points, but it would be hard for the peninsula to tell the tourists to stay home when their economy needs the money they bring.

flag this »

May 5, 2008 - 8:16am | whoflungpou

Yikes tourists

I love the tourists for the most part they are some of the greatest people I have met and dealt with. If it wasnt for the influx of some decent people dont know if I could face the winters. LOL isnt that crazy LOL. Last summer took an 75 yr old man out fishing cause his back was bad and he couldnt stay out on charter too long. He thought trolling was stupid, UNTIL he caught his first SILVER. He was awesome just like a kid with his first catch, that was great fun and he said we made his entire Alaskan Trip worth it. Funny his back never hurt the entire time he pulled in all 6 huge salmons. I love the tourists. oh dear I already said that didnt I lol.

flag this »

1     May 2, 2008 - 7:52pm | tundratess

It isn't something to strive for

As with all things, it is relative. Compared to the rest of state Anchorage is a stinking cesspool with horrendous traffic, outrageous crime and so many people the faces all blur together. But compared to cities in states with significantly larger populations you are correct, our little metropolis is a joke. Either way the city should work to improve itself, don't you think?

flag this »

May 2, 2008 - 10:28pm | kattyjones

tundatess

ANCHORAGE IS A BEAUTIFUL CITY, IT HAS GORGEOUS PARKS FOR THE KIDS, BASEBALL FIELDS, ICE RINKS, DOWNTOWN IS GETTING MORE PRETTY EVERY DAY, YOU CAN DRIVE FOR MILES AND SEE WHAT GOD'S COUNTRY LOOKS LIKE.

EVEN MOUNTAIN VIEW IS GETTING PRETTY. THE MALLS ARE GORGEOUS.
THE ONLY MALL I DON'T LIKE IS OFF OF THE OLD SEWARD HIGHWAY, I FEEL ITS TOO CROWDED TO DRIVE AROUND IN, BUT THATS GROWTH!!!
I LOVE DRIVING DOWN THE TURNAGAIN ARM AND SEEING THE BEAUTY ALL AROUND.

flag this »

May 5, 2008 - 7:27am | tundratess

Opinion noted

Goodness, even if you adamantly disagree with me there is no reason to raise your voice. And why are you even trying to drive around in a mall, no wonder it seems so crowded, all those darn people trying to walk. I do agree that Turnagain Arm is beautiful, but I was speaking of Anchorage proper, excluding the outlying areas that prefer to forget they are a part of the municipality unless they need the cops. I find it interesting you speak up to defend a place you won't even live in.

flag this »

May 6, 2008 - 5:55am | kattyjones

tundratess

I notice your posts are always degrading
what's up with this
I used to live in Anchorage, now live in Big Lake, Alaska

I have probably lived in Alaska longer than you!!!

So how about being nice in your posts!!

There's parts of Anchorage, I will never live in again, too many gangs and such.

flag this »

May 6, 2008 - 7:46am | tundratess

You're right, I'm a

You're right, I'm a troll...everything I say is pointless drivel meant to irritate you. That being the case you should obviously stop replying to my posts.

flag this »

May 6, 2008 - 3:19pm | kattyjones

tundratess

Ok I might

Such a pitiful life you have

I have been busy today, we bought 5 computers

Dream on my friend

flag this »

May 7, 2008 - 4:02pm | t_ysarren

k-j, would you mind telling us why you have bought...

5 computers? Are they for Christmas/birthday presents?

flag this »

May 13, 2008 - 3:47am | kattyjones

t_ysarren

We have all 5 in out office
One is for business, the others are to have fun on

flag this »

May 7, 2008 - 6:41pm | justml

Maybe one for each name

Maybe one for each name :-)

flag this »

May 7, 2008 - 9:54pm | kattyjones

justml

Grow up

flag this »

May 7, 2008 - 4:21pm | rfn

I just gotta guess.....

One of the big names in personal computers, about a year ago, sold out to a company in China. If it was that brand, good chance that one out of the five might actually work!

Otherwise, maybe running a business.....

flag this »

May 3, 2008 - 9:40am | whoflungpou

Malls Gorgeous?

OMG have you ever seen a REAL MALL????? Again Los Anchorage LOL. If you ever want to see a REAL MALL go to Fort St Johns in BC its a REAL MALL or the many acres big malls in CA.
Diamond Center is a trashy gang invested piece of work. I never go anywhere near there because it reminds me of WATTS in CA.
I do agree that Alaska is Gods Country but Los Anchorage is a sore on its bum and getting worse each passing year.

flag this »