Our first Dog Blog Howwwl-oween Costume Contest drew everything from a pirate pooch to Dog-zilla. There were elaborate homemade costumes, store-bought and even a poker-playing Airedale.
But when it came to cutest and creepiest, the judges were nearly unanimous in their love for DeeDee Fowler's pugs. Her picture of 3-year-old Princess Lucy and 4-year-old Darth Frank was the runaway choice for first place, and another of her submissions, Frankenpug, stood alone in second place.
DeeDee said she knew instantly she'd found the right costumes when she saw them in the pet store.
"When I came across the Star Wars outfits, I couldn't stop laughing, especially the Princess Leah wig," she wrote in an E-mail.
The hard part, she said, was getting them to tolerate the costumes long enough to take a picture.
"It is a challenge to take photos of them dressed up, as you can't help but laugh and they know you are laughing at them, so they tend to scowl."
She said liberal use of treats helped ease the pain.
Howwwl-o-ween Costume Contest entrants better get busy if they want to dethrone DeeDee. She's already on the lookout for a Yoda costume to complete her Star Wars cast.
Congratulations, DeeDee. I will never be able to look at Princess Leah the same way again. For your efforts, you will receive a $100 gift certificate to a pet supply store.
Thanks, everyone, for playing. We had 46 official entries before the deadline, and costumes are still rolling in.
It was all in good fun, but a word of caution for tonight: Most dogs don't like wearing costumes and can become stressed. It's one thing to put them on for a quick picture, but it's another to leave them on for extended periods of time.
Here's the top 23 entries as rated by our panel of five judges on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis. Don't feel bad if you finished in the bottom half. It was little more than a tie beyond the ones shown here.
1. Princess Lucy and Darth Frank 23
2. Frankenpug 19
3. (tie) Biker dog Keegan 18
3. (tie) Buddy, dressed as Count Dogula 18
3. (tie) Trouble the Jack Russel bumblebee 18
6. (tie) DogZilla 16
6. (tie) knight Radar to rescue his princess Leilani 16
8. (tie) Angel the Clown 15
8. (tie) (Unnamed, Dalmation skunk) 15
8. (tie) Otis the "Lobsterized" weiner 15
8. (tie) Unnamed (Cowboy dog) 15
12. (tie) Radar in his Pirate garb 14
12. (tie) Bella the cheerful witch and Poppy the disgruntled pumpkin 14
12. (tie).Marni Princess and Rebel Pirate 14
12. (tie) Little Devil 14
16. (tie) The cutest bunny, Annabelle 13
16. (tie) Madchen the ballerina 13
16. (tie) Our Halloween "kids", KC and Brandy 13
16. (tie) Winston the Pug 13
16. (tie) Bella, lookin good as snow white 13
16. (tie) Pug is spooked by pumpkins 13
22. (tie) atka the reluctant eagles fan 12
22 (tie) atka the fire marshal 12
22 (tie) Unnamed (White dog in a pumpkin) 12
22. (tie) Neiko as a Medieval horse 12
22. (tie) (Unnamed poker player) 12
22. (tie) Keetna's Howl-O-Weenie 12
22. (tie) Chibi the Cheerleader Chihuahua 12
22. (tie) Sherriff Radar, angel Henry and lil pumpkin Mason too 12
22. (tie) (Unnamed king costume) 12