Dog Blog

The Dog Blog is a community of ordinary dog lovers who have come together to discuss our extraordinary dogs. Each Monday, a new topic is introduced. If you've got an opinion, share it. If not, look for the current "anything goes" topic and introduce a discussion of your own. On Fridays, weigh in about your training questions and successes.
Your host: Mike Lewis is a little-dog nerd and the proud owner of Eddie and Jillian, a pair of Yorkies who think they're huskies, and Lucy, a sweet Chessie. R.I.P., Rusty. Contact mlewis@adn.com

Parks and Rec Committee approves fenced dog park - 1/10/2013 3:33 pm

AACCC Adoption of the week: Meet Scout - 1/9/2013 12:12 pm

Kitty and K9 Connection: Meet Nano - 1/4/2013 7:04 pm

What are your New Year's resolutions for your dogs? - 1/2/2013 4:29 pm

AACCC Adoption of the Week: Meet Rudy - 1/2/2013 4:14 pm

Take extra precaution with dogs on New Year's - 12/31/2012 11:58 am

Friday training talk -- what's up with your pack? - 12/28/2012 11:09 am

AACCC Adoption of the Week: Meet Chris K - 12/27/2012 12:27 pm

What are your New Year's resolutions for your dogs?

Whether you're the type to make New Year's resolutions or not, I thought it would be fun to give this idea some thought as pertaining to our dogs. What would you like them to accomplish in 2013? Be as serious or silly as you like.

Here's mine:

Jillie, 3-year-old Yorkie turning 4 in April
* Take a treiball class. Treiball is a dog sport where dogs learn to "herd" large balls into a net. I've been playing with her on my own -- no doubt teaching her bad habits -- but she can successfully retrieve one ball. I think it would be a riot if a 5-pound dog could learn to do it, and I have no doubt she has the smarts.
* On the bad habits side, I'd like to improve her "no bark" behavior. She's been increasingly yapping on our group leashed walks, which tends to make walks a chore because she incites the other dogs.

Eddie, 8-year-old Yorkie turning 9 in May
* More exercise. I've been caving in to his reluctance to go on winter walks, frankly because it's easier to walk 2 willing dogs than 3. But he's a much happier dog when he gets 2 daily walks -- whether he knows it or not.

Lucy, 10 or 11-year-old Chessie
* Longer walks. She's really a sweetheart and in excellent shape for her age. But she loves, loves, loves walks and often gets shortchanged with 20-minute walks with the Yorkies.

Last but not least, I want all of them to be happy and healthy in 2013.

How about your dogs?

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.