Arthur B. Nelson’s “Raven Bowl” was selected for Best of Show honors in the Sealaska Heritage Institute’s sixth Juried Art Show and Competition in Juneau.
The winners, chosen by jurors Nathan Jackson and Peter Corey, fell into two categories, as follows:
Northwest Coast Customary Art
· 1st Place—Archie J. Cavanaugh, Ch’aak K’aa, “Eagle Man Mask”
· 2nd Place—Sonya Koenig-Johnson, “Spruce Root Hat”
· 3rd Place—Ruby Hughes, “Woodworm Woman”
Northwest Coast Inspired Customary Art
· 1st Place—Harmony Hoss, “Beaver Purse”
· 2nd Place—Clarissa Rizal, “Argillite Totem”
· 3rd Place—Shgen DooTan George, “Woven Octopus Bag”
Fourteen other artists also were chosen to exhibit their work in a show featuring work entered in the contest: Alison Bremner, Amy Tessaro, Beckie Etukeok, Cassandra Bulard, Fred C. Bemis, Ivan D. Willams, Jno Didrickson, Lance A. Twitchell, Mathew Helgeson, Mike Dangeli, Nicole G. Carle, Richard Tagaban, Rick Beasley and Zachary Knapp.
A total of 32 pieces will be on exhibit at the Juneau Arts and Culture Center through June 30 and some of the pieces are available for purchase.