The U.S. Coast Guard is suggesting last-minute holiday shoppers consider gifts that could deliver the ultimate payoff — saving the recipient’s life.
“The Coast Guard reminds Alaskans that being prepared is essential in our unforgiving waters,” says a press release from the agency.
Items worth considering:
• Marine GPS navigation system;
• 406 Mhz EPIRB, which may be the only way to call for help in remote areas. Be sure to register it after purchase;
• Coast Guard approved life jacket;
• Hand-held VHF marine radio;
• Boater safety course;
• Coast Guard approved fire extinguisher;
• First aid kit in a watertight container;
• Signaling kit including a mirror, whistle and flare for day and night;
• Life raft with a survival gift.
Although you might get a warm thank-you when the gift is open, think of the thanks you’ll get if it’s used in a life-or-death situation?
-- Mike Campbell