Alaska Politics Blog

This is the place to talk about Alaska politics, state, local, national. Public life in the Last Frontier has rarely been more interesting -- a full slate of federal and state elections, the influence of former Gov. Sarah Palin, the usual hardball Alaska politics. Come here for news, tidbits and information, and join the discussion. We encourage lively debate, but please keep it civil and stay on point. Don't use profanity, make crude comments or attack other posters. Posts that violate the Terms of Use will be deleted. Repeat offenders will lose their ability to post comments.

New Senate organization announced - 11/7/2012 12:48 pm

Homer Revealed - 8/22/2012 2:08 pm

Seven-day countdown - 5/25/2012 8:37 pm

Anchorage city clerk resigns (UPDATED) - 5/23/2012 10:51 am

Gara to seek re-election - 5/2/2012 2:04 pm

For one lawmaker: Good news - 4/27/2012 12:20 pm

Anticipation in the Capitol - 4/26/2012 11:38 am

Election Commission finds 1/2 of precincts ran out of ballots; recommends no investigation - 4/25/2012 5:08 pm

@JoeWMiller's Twitter troubles

A version of this appeared on our Alaska Newsreader

On Twitter Wednesday night, Republican nominee Joe Miller sounded as if he'd already won the Alaska Senate election, tweeting that he should "do some house hunting" and "pick up some office furniture" during a trip to Washington.

The tweets were subsequently removed, and the campaign told the Associated Press that the tweets were the work of a volunteer who no longer has access to the account.

The tweets appeared to followers on Wednesday (as of today, he had around 4,500), while the candidate was in Washington, D.C., for a series of fundraising events. After a tweet advising that he would be appearing on Greta Van Susteren on Fox News Channel, these tweets appeared in the stream:

Think I'll do some house hunting while I'm in DC

Guess I should pick out some office furniture, as well, while in DC

Then there’s the matter of a name plaque for the door

And finally,

My sincere appreciation for the warm welcome, including from future colleagues in DC

The Murkowski campaign quickly e-mailed out a screen grab, and by this morning the tweets had been deleted and both the New York Times and Washington Post had noticed. From the Times:

In addition to a penchant for quoting Dwight D. Eisenhower, Joe Miller’s recent Twitter feed also showed a propensity for what is known unflatteringly in Washington circles as measuring the drapes.

Last night, Mr. Miller, the Republican Senate nominee in Alaska who is backed by the Tea Party, released a string of Twitter messages that verged on the presumptuous, referring to his future plans in Washington as the state’s next senator.

Miller last ran into Twitter trouble earlier in the campaign for a tweet that seemed to link Sen. Lisa Murkowski to prostitution: "What's the difference between selling out your party's values and the oldest profession?" The Miller campaign maintained that the tweet referred to the Libertarian Party, which was pondering allowing Murkowski to run on its ticket, and not Murkowski.

In that case, too, the campaign blamed the tweet on a volunteer, and said that person had been "relieved of those duties."

On Thursday night, meanwhile, the Murkowski campaign issued a new radio commercial on the whole thing.

Joe tweeted that he was going to do some house hunting, buy office furniture, and get a name plaque for his Senate office door. Wait a minute Joe… you might want to wait until you hear from the 88% of us back here in Alaska who didn’t vote for you....

McAdams (or whoever writes the tweets at @McAdamsforAK) posted this on Twitter: “While you’re in DC picking out office furniture, I’m in Anchorage introducing my plan to get Alaskans back to work.”

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.