Julia O'Malley

Julia O'Malley writes a general interest column about life and politics in Anchorage and around Alaska. She grew up in Anchorage and has worked at the ADN on and off as a columnist and reporter since 1996. She came back full time as a reporter in 2005.

As a reporter, she covered the court system and wrote extensively about life in Anchorage, including big changes in the city's ethnic and minority communities.

In 2008, she won the Scripps-Howard Foundation's Ernie Pyle award for the best human-interest writing in America. She has also written for the Oregonian, the Juneau Empire and the Anchorage Press.

E-mail her at jomalley@adn.com.

Can the city keep focus on homeless? - 10/13/2012 10:19 pm

Two flippers to hold you - 10/9/2012 7:50 pm

On local talk radio, where rape isn't rape - 9/27/2012 3:52 pm

Two grandmothers come together in life-saving plan - 9/22/2012 10:44 pm

In the blink of an eye - 9/15/2012 9:00 pm

I didn't even have a working flashlight - 9/6/2012 10:13 pm

Something's off about fair's body exhibit - 8/29/2012 7:21 pm

Cab drivers help woman recover her stolen car - 8/26/2012 10:55 pm

Should treatment for prostitutes be required? What about the men who create the demand?

After I talked to Kristin about prostitution, I tried to learn about prostitution in Anchorage. The more I found out, the more it seemed we should be doing something different to stop it.

From what I can tell there are several hundred prostitutes, most women, most with addictions, who cycle in and out of the court system in Anchorage. The first few times they are arrested for prostitution, which is a misdemeanor, they don't go to jail, and instead pay fines and make court appearances. It takes a number of repeat offenses for them to go to jail. But jail doesn't really solve their problems. Most still have addiction issues and those lead them back to prostituting.

Prostitutes in Anchorage pick up clients on the street or through Craigslist, Dawn Neer, an Anchorage Police Department detective told me. The majority of them are heroin addicts who prostitute because they don't have another means of income, she said. They are looking for money for drugs.

"If you talk to them, they don’t want to be doing what they’re doing," she said. "They are so addicted they don’t have any other choice."

Men picking up prostitutes, who are arrested less frequently than prostitutes are, get their cars impounded for the first offense. For the second offense they lose their car, she said. Neer sometimes goes undercover to find men looking for prostitutes. She said it's like "shooting fish in a barrel." She has caught lawyers, engineers, a surgeon and a minister, she said.

Some communities make men with soliciting charges against them go to "john school" where they learn about the stark lives prostitutes lead. Anchorage doesn't have a program like that.

Neer had another idea to punish men who pay for sex.

"I think they should have their names posted the paper," she said.

Should we offer drug treatment to prostitutes? Should penalties for both prostitutes and men who pay for sex be higher? What do you think about the idea of john school?

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.