AK Root Cellar

Pete Kinneen grew up in a family conscious of the magic of composting food scraps and yard waste for use in their organic gardens. He is the executive director of Environmental Recycling, Inc. the non-profit which operated the Pt. Woronzof Composting Facility for 15 successful years. He has joined a global discovery exploring the possibility of another natural and inexpensive ingredient found to kick convention to the curb. Join in, the more the merrier.

Climate Change is Caused by Democrats - 11/23/2011 9:23 pm

Moving From Alternative Energy to Climate Change - 8/16/2011 11:36 pm

Answer to cat_train2 - 8/13/2011 2:31 pm

Fire Island Alternative Energy - 7/31/2011 8:47 pm

Yakutat and Fire Island - 6/30/2011 1:49 pm

Yakutat: Alaska's Clean Energy Mecca? - 6/9/2011 10:02 pm

Fuel-Free Energy and Free Fresh Fish - 5/30/2011 6:53 pm

Mushrooms Improve Hamburgers and Nuclear Waste - 5/11/2011 3:32 pm

For the New Year, Become a Husky!

Hearty Greetings, Dear Locavores…
and Lovers of Real Food, Safe Food, Local Food, and Nourishing Food,

As you know, there's much astir right now at the national level that is shaping food policy in a way that is hostile to the organic and local food movements. As we start the new year, it is a great time to jump in and make your voice heard.

Yes, I know it is easy to feel defeatist and squashed. But truly it is time to muster resolve—to make our views and concerns known, and to support positive efforts. So how to best make your single voice heard? Simple! Become a husky dog! You’ve seen our canine companions demonstrate the perfect technique. One husky starts the chorus, others gleefully join in, and soon the pack howl dominates the air waves for miles.

My favorite “pack” that I love to support is the Organic Consumers Association, or OCA. This organization shares excellent research that keeps me informed and helps me choose effective action. The OCA has campaigns to influence food policy decisions at the national level. I think you’ll like their email newsletter. I especially appreciate the practical help for local communities to take the reins and organize an Organic Transition committee.

So, here is your New Year’s Resolution tool kit:
1. Check out the Organic Consumers Association website
2. Sign up, join in, and let’s howl like huskies!

Barrroooooo, we sound good!