Rural blog

The Village is a Daily News blog about life and politics in rural Alaska. Its main author is ADN reporter Kyle Hopkins. Come here for breaking news on village issues, plus interviews, videos and photos. But that's just part of the story. We want to feature your pictures, videos and stories, too. Think of The Village as your bulletin board. E-mail us anything you’d like to share with the rest of Alaska -- your letters to the editor, the photos of your latest hunt or video of your latest potlatch. (We love video.)

Pumpkin recycling service - 11/8/2012 11:00 am

Pressed for change, leaders promise a 'new, modern AFN' - 10/20/2012 1:29 pm

Should Alaska Native elders be exempt from fishing bans? - 10/18/2012 3:27 pm

Make way for AFN - 10/9/2012 3:02 pm

Bathtime at 220°F - 10/1/2012 10:09 pm

Where the jobs will be: Mining, health care - 10/1/2012 2:07 pm

First, some advice: Don't cook angry - 9/28/2012 8:55 pm

In Bethel? Say hello - 9/24/2012 12:28 am

UPDATED: 'Dislocated my shoulder, my toenail fell off, but I had the best time ever'

Unalakleet to L.A.

UPDATE: Former Unalakleet & East High athlete Ariel Tweto sends this e-mail describing her plans in Hollywood and appearance tomorrow on ABC's "Wipeoout."

(Note that it sounds like she'll be announcing an Alaska-based show later this month.)

Hey!
So the show tomorrow will be my 3rd time appearing on Wipeout! My first was the regular one, the next was the reunion show shot in Venice Beach, and tomorrow will be the Allstar Episode! In the episode I will be competing against 23 other allstars for $50,000 dollars and will be embarrassing myself for sure!
I dislocated my shoulder, my toe nail fell off, but I had the best time ever. It was the best experience ever. I made amazing friends, challenged myself both physically and mentally, and got to get my name out there because I eventually want to break into the acting business. But back to what competing on Wipeout was like...it is also very cold, tiring, and hard (it seems like they practically grease everything to make us wipeout even harder!)
I am working on a show right now but can not give out any information for about 2 more weeks...you will be the first to know about it though! All I can say is that involves me, my family, and the good ol' Bush Alaska!!!
I am also training with some circus people and acrobatics for a new LIVE show that I will be performing in. I am pretty sure we will be filming that in Texas!
I am having the time of my life right now in Hollywood. I am so happy and feel like i am on a permanent vacation! I wake up every morning to sun and the ocean so...what more can I ask for? There aren't many Inupiaq Eskimos on TV so I want be a pioneer and make a good name for all of us! I also want to inspire kids in the village to dream big and go after their goals....nothing is ever impossible.
If a little Eskimo from a tiny isolated village can go to Hollywood and be on TV, anything is possible!!!
Take care and Ill keep in touch!
Ariel Tweto

ORIGINAL POST:

Back in the day: East senior guard Ariel Tweto looks for an open teammate during second-half action in a 57-33 win over Bartlett Tuesday evening February 28, 2006 at East. Tweto says she'll make an encore appearance this week on the ABC reality show "Wipeout."Back in the day: East senior guard Ariel Tweto looks for an open teammate during second-half action in a 57-33 win over Bartlett Tuesday evening February 28, 2006 at East. Tweto says she'll make an encore appearance this week on the ABC reality show "Wipeout."

Meet Ariel Tweto, originally from Unalakleet and now -- in her words -- "doing the whole Hollywood thing."

Tweto has charmed reality TV audiences a couple times on ABC's "Wipeout" and, she says, appears again on tomorrow's episode. The show is a kind of reality obstacle course competition. ABC bills Wednesday's "all star" episode as a battle among fan-favorite contestants.

Check out one of Tweto's earlier appearances, where she tells the world she's 20 and never been kissed. (The sound quality is awful.)

Tweto must have caught someone's eye because she's now working on another TV show -- one somehow involving Alaska, she wrote in an e-mail to the Daily News. She seems to hint at it here, saying she was in talks with the Discovery Channel and Travel Channel, and was in the running for a role in the "Twilight" movie sequel:

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.