Voices From the 2009 Trail: Audio & video interviews

Audio and video interviews with mushers passing through checkpoints. Check back for updates.

More Iditarod coverage ยป

Lance Mackey, Three-peat Iditarod champion

lou packer

Iditarod champion Lance Mackey talks about the brutal weather, his tough dog team and doing the thing he was put on earth to do.

Lou Packer discusses the life-threatening weather

lou packer

Packer rehashes the conditions that threatened his life along the coast.

Earlier in the race: Packer helps Yoshida at Rainy Pass

lou packer

Lou Packer discusses helping Nancy Yoshida after her wreck on the trail.

Schnuelle fought through the weather to Elim

sebastian schnulle

Sebastian Schnuelle's team made it across the Norton Sound ice when many other teams hunkered to get out of the brutal wind. He tells the story in Elim.

Mackey leaves Unalakleet well in front

Lance Mackey leaves the Unalakleet checkpoint in the lead Sunday evening

Jeff King now racing for second

jeff king

Jeff King says,"Second place is clearly up for grabs."

John Baker racing along the coast and catching Mackey

john baker

In Shaktoolik, John Baker says his run up the coast has been slow, but he remains in the running for second place.

Mackey first to Unalakleet

lance mackey

Two-time defending Iditarod champion Lance Mackey was the first into Unalakleet Sunday afternoon. He says he feels sore and "stoked."

Aliy Zirkle up the Yukon River

Aliy Zirkle

Aliy Zirkle welcomed cooler temperatures on her run up the Yukon River. Her plan from Kaltag is uncertain, she said.

Audio slide show: The remote Iditarod checkpoint

Nancy Yoshida

A ghost town on the banks of a frozen river, the checkpoint at Iditarod is one of the most primitive in the Last Great Race. It's also the halfway point on the trail. Head checker Jim Paulus describes the scene.

audio slide show

Jen Seavey on married mushers

jen seavy

Is it difficult to have two Iditarod mushers in a marriage, like Dallas and Jen Seavey's. Jen explains why mushing has been good for them.

Linwood Fiedler: Eating and sleeping on the trail

lindwood fiedler

Linwood Fiedler is eating very well along the Iditarod Trail. He's just having trouble sleeping. He explains in Anvik.

Ryan Redington on his future in the Iditarod

ryan redington

Ryan Redington, running his sixth Iditarod, says he's thinking of taking a break from the race after this year. He is the grandson of Iditarod founder Joe Redington.

Jan Newton's pies in Takotna

lou packer

Jan Newton's pies are legendary on the Iditarod trail. Every musher that passes through Takotna is well fed at the town's community center.

Iditarod checkpoint: Takotna

Takotna is a popular spot for Iditarod mushers to take their mandatory 24-hour break. Sven Haltmann and Ed Stielstra explain why the rest stop is so important.

First Rookie to Takotna: Karin Hendrickson

karin hendrickson

Karin Hendrickson of Chugiak was the first Iditarod rookie into Takotna. During her 24-hour rest she talked about her trouble-free experience so far, and the potential challenges ahead.

John Baker loses his dogs, Cim Smyth catches them

john baker cym smith

John Baker, left, talks about losing most of his dog team after an accident between Rohn and Nikolai, and Cim Smyth, right, describes the dogs catching up to him and his brother Ramey a few miles later.

Audio slide show: Yoshida's wreck

Nancy Yoshida

Nancy Yoshida discusses the danger of falling vulnerable on the remote trail.

audio slide show

DeeDee Jonrowe sweet talk

deedee jonrowe

DeeDee Jonrowe sweet talks her dog while putting booties on his feet.

Martin Buser's wonderful world

martin buser

Martin Buser whistles and sings "What a Wonderful World" while making camp.

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

12     March 19, 2009 - 4:02pm | deltaj22

Congratulations

Great job Lance, and thanks to ADN for terrific coverage of the race.

flag this »

11     March 19, 2009 - 11:33am | ravensroost

Lance Mackey and his Comeback Kennel -

his lovely, supportive wife and his caring, even adoring attitude toward his dogs enables him to win every time. His life has been full of setbacks, and he's overcome every one of them.

Congratulations, again, Lance!!

All who competed were winners, as well, in their own ways - if only to win in their hearts and for themselves or a family member or friend.

flag this »

10     March 18, 2009 - 4:39pm | jimbyrne

Great coverage

Just a word of thanks to adn for great coverage, got completely hooked after seeing the 2008 iditarod on TV ,
congrats to Lance , who is one tough champion .
Have enjoyed following the all the way from Ireland

flag this »

9     March 18, 2009 - 3:55pm | jojobo1

congratulations

congratulations Lance Mackey great job.All were great in the runs I am gratful for ADn for allowing people from out of state to keep track of what is going on during the run .I have Familt up in the Anchorage.Talkeetna area so kind of keep track of things in Alaska

flag this »

8     March 17, 2009 - 9:35pm | simon_4

Awesome!

this is awesome, like to hear more for the up front drivers!

flag this »

7     March 15, 2009 - 6:00am | tonichelle

Thank you!

These sound bites are great. Do have to be picky, though. there are TWO "e"s in Seavey... not one.

flag this »

6     March 15, 2009 - 3:08am | jamico6

Great Audio Clips!

This is my first year keeping such a close watch on the Iditarod, but wouldn't be able to if it weren't for adn.com Thank you so much for the wonderful coverage. I can always count on your e-mails to keep me informed and updated. I am definitely hooked on the Iditarod and look forward to keeping up with all the info I get from you in the years ahead. It has been fun right from the beginning. I am learning so much about the race. I was pleasantly surprised when I was reading about the restart in Willow that they have a lake named Willow Lake there. Ironically, I happen to live in a town of 294 people in Willow Lake, South Dakota. Our little lake is also named Willow Lake. My thoughts and prayers are with the dogs and mushers for a safe journey and that there families will also be safe while they are gone on this marvelous adventure.

flag this »

March 17, 2009 - 8:34pm | peggysioux

Great Audio & photos as well as the terrific articles

This is my very first Iditarod to attend since I transplanted to Alaska on the first of Feb 2009 and having all of the adn.com coverage is terrific! I have a lot of friends back on the Gulf Coast who now are also checking this website. I took over 800 pictures the day of the restart in Willow and to my delight found myself in 2 of the viewers photos posted on adn.
I had so much fun at the restart meeting the teams, the mushers and even meeting the real athletes in this event, the wonderful dogs.
I didn't post any of my photos to adn but filled many albums on my Facebook.
I have been watching the standings closely. I do have my favorites after having met them but in my book everyone taking part in this great race has accomplished quite a lot. I especially admire the mushers who lost time in their own race to give aid to others on the trail.
I will be present for Iditarod 2010 as well!

flag this »

5     March 14, 2009 - 4:54pm | Banana1SV

Audio Clips and Updates

Thank you for all of you who help keep the rest of us up to date and all the extras. It helps us be able to feel the race way out here in the Midwest! Be safe all Mushers and we pray for those that have been injured and worn down.

flag this »

2     March 13, 2009 - 7:15am | ginnerboo

Nancy Yoshida

If you don't know how to survive out on the trail, then you shouldn't be out there. You knew something about what to expect out on the trail. I don't think that the Iditarod people should teach you survival training, you should already know this. If you don't, what were you doing out there in the first place. This race is not a walk in the park.

flag this »

1     March 12, 2009 - 5:39pm | sallysunshine

Takotna

Thank you for bringing us a little closer to all the action. Through the fun, struggles, frustration and heartaches we can have a better understanding if we don't alread know how the trail brings all the above situations. God bless you all with a safe journey through the rest of the trail ride. We are watching from California.

flag this »