Best Health Care, worst insurance coverage

Unless you work for the federal, state or oil government you are probably getting totally screwed by your insurance company.
You pay and pay, by a garnishment from your hard-earned paycheck and then they have the UNMITIGATED GALL to withhold coverage if they deem you do not need the Health Care for cancer. I am not talking plastic surgery here, or pain medication management.
They may wait so long as to stop or delay your treatment dangerously, or you must pay all of your savings and use credit cards upfront in hope that they will reimburse you.
And hospitals are like airports and movie theaters when it comes to overpricing and gouging you as a "captive audience."
Topping it all off is that the machine had Ted Stevens removed so no one down there actually gives squat about you and me anymore. Just die faster, right?
The hospital is great otherwise, all of those working there are just keeping up with
a tsunami of cancer patients. And to their credit, they won't refuse you service if you are broke.

4     February 16, 2009 - 9:55pm | jimsanya

Best?

The spouse and I went to receive 3 different immunizations for travel. The bill came today. Two senior citizens...3 immunizations...$610. Most of the charges were administrative fees I was told. So much for the vacation funds.

flag this »

3     February 15, 2009 - 8:50pm | kattyjones

iamagem

Thought I should answer your post.

Every hospital has a slush fund. Providence Hospital has a sign up next to emergency room. It talks about the hill burton act.

Read it

You will learn alot. I used to collect bills for both hospitals in Anchorage. Providence and Alaska Hospital.

God Bless you my friend. I lost a son 4 1/2 years ago.

flag this »

2     February 15, 2009 - 6:21pm | akbmd

Part of the reason

all the medicine is so expensive here is because of the malpractice insurance the doctors have to get and then they have to charge a bunch to cover it. We need to put a limit on what people can sue for and a cap on what people can get. Other countries do it. Mistakes happen in medicine just like anything else. We need to have as many checks and balances in place as possible and then go with it. All these multimillion dollar lawsuits on all this BS just hike all the prices up until no one can afford anything. Of course the hospitals need to have major insurance, everyone needs liability insurance. Someone falls in the hospital, they sue. Put a limit on what they can get. All these stupid lawsuits is what makes everything so high.

flag this »

1     February 15, 2009 - 2:26pm | nslopeofw

well, lets see if this administation can fix it.

It has been a hot topic for 20 years, and so far, no one has done a thing. I doubt they will either, and that's not because they are demo's. I don't think we can wholesale change our system right now. The jobs lost in the insurance/health care realm would be incredible. This is something that will have to slowly be fazed out over many decades. Preferably during good economic times.

flag this »