Federal Judge H. Russel Holland has ordered more payments to commercial fishermen and other claimants in the Exxon Valdez oil spill case.
This will be the second payout of punitive damages from the case. Lawyers overseeing the money asked for the distribution last month (The Highliner, Jan. 20 and 22).
These payments, totaling $62.5 million, will go to 5,331 claimants or to parties such as the IRS with a hold on a claimant’s payment.
According to the judge’s order, the 13 claimant categories to receive payments in this round are:
• Native Opt Out Settlement Class
• Prince William Sound 1989 Fund
• Prince William Sound salmon seine
• Prince William Sound salmon drift gillnet
• Prince William Sound salmon setnet
• Cook Inlet salmon seine
• Cook Inlet salmon drift gillnet
• Cook Inlet salmon setnet
• Kodiak salmon seine
• Kodiak salmon beach seine
• Kodiak salmon setnet
• Chignik salmon seine
Here’s the list of names, broken into two pieces: