Alaska Politics Blog

This is the place to talk about Alaska politics, state, local, national. Public life in the Last Frontier has rarely been more interesting -- a full slate of federal and state elections, the influence of former Gov. Sarah Palin, the usual hardball Alaska politics. Come here for news, tidbits and information, and join the discussion. We encourage lively debate, but please keep it civil and stay on point. Don't use profanity, make crude comments or attack other posters. Posts that violate the Terms of Use will be deleted. Repeat offenders will lose their ability to post comments.

New Senate organization announced - 11/7/2012 12:48 pm

Homer Revealed - 8/22/2012 2:08 pm

Seven-day countdown - 5/25/2012 8:37 pm

Anchorage city clerk resigns (UPDATED) - 5/23/2012 10:51 am

Gara to seek re-election - 5/2/2012 2:04 pm

For one lawmaker: Good news - 4/27/2012 12:20 pm

Anticipation in the Capitol - 4/26/2012 11:38 am

Election Commission finds 1/2 of precincts ran out of ballots; recommends no investigation - 4/25/2012 5:08 pm

Palin and the 'real America'

Before a Palin rally in Nobleville, Ind. Friday. (AP /Michael Conroy)Before a Palin rally in Nobleville, Ind. Friday. (AP /Michael Conroy)

From David Hulen in Anchorage --

Palin is getting attention, and backlash, for comments made at a Greensboro, N.C., fundraiser last night.

"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe" -- here the audience interrupted Palin with applause and cheers -- "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation."

She continued: "This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom."

The Chicago-based Obama campaign followed with an e-mail: “Just asking: What part of the country isn’t pro-America?” Biden blasted the comments in New Mexico today:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I have never been to a state that hasn't sent its sons and daughters to serve its country. It doesn't matter where you live, we all love this country. And I hope it gets through that one of the reasons why Barack (Obama) and I are running is that we know how damaging the policy of division ... has been. We are one nation, under God, indivisible," Biden shouted to the crowd. "We are all patriotic, we all love this country."

Palin, speaking with reporters on the campaign plane today, clarified that it's all pro-America.

“Every area, every area across this great country where we’re stopping and where also the other ticket is stopping and getting to speak at these rallies and speak with the good Americans, it’s all pro-America. I was just reinforcing the fact that there, where I was, there’s good patriotic people there in these rallies, so excited about positive change and reform of government that’s coming that they are so appreciative of hearing our message, hearing our plan. Not, not any one area of America is more pro-America patriotically than others.”

One other thing she said last night: She's getting bummed at the coverage of the campaign. Reports the Washington Post:

"So North Carolina, I appreciate you all so much, who are here who already get it. You know, maybe I'm preaching to the choir a little bit here, but being here encourages me because I know that I'm not alone and I'll send this message back to John McCain also. At those times on the campaign trail when sometimes it's easy to get a little bit discouraged, when, you know, when you happen to turn on the news when your campaign staffers will let you turn on the news," she said, prompting laughter from the group. "Usually they're like 'Oh my gosh, don't watch. You're going to, you know, you're going to get depressed.'"

She added that while she doesn't always appreciate the way reporters portray the GOP ticket, she's been bolstered by the prayers of many of the campaign's backers.

"But yeah, sometimes you do get depressed watching what it is that they're reporting and the spin and some of the distortion of what our message is and what we stand for. Sometimes that, that gets draining," she continued. "But it's at events like these and our rallies that we are so energized and inspired and we know that we are not alone. We feel your strength and we feel the power of prayer, so many of you tell us that you are praying for us and praying for our country and that's why we so appreciate you being here."

Back on the plane today, Palin stuck pretty close to the talking points, according to the Wall Street Journal's campaign blog. Some of what she said:

Palin smiled somewhat sheepishly while answering a question about her upcoming Saturday Night Live appearance. “Oh man, I’m excited for tomorrow night,” she said, adding that she hasn’t seen a script yet.

“This really would be wearin’, tearin’ on you so an opportunity to show that sense of humor and that side of all of this, I look forward to it,” she said.

Otherwise:

When asked how often she talks to McCain, Palin first responded that she wished she could campaign more with him–the ticket has already spent considerably more time together on the trail than a typical presidential ticket.

“We have, I think, some great synergy and really great chemistry and we get along so well,” she said. “Not only is it very productive but its also fun to be able to campaign with him he’s got so much energy and its always a good time for all of our camps and our families to be together.”

They do, however, talk on the phone several times a day, Palin said, about the news of the day and to offer encouragement to one another. She said the talks are “very helpful for both of us.”

Also:

> Transcript of Palin Interview With Traveling Press (Fox News)

> For Second Time, Palin Meets the Press (ABC News)

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1     December 6, 2009 - 11:47pm | bolingchina

Replica Watches at China

Replica Prada Wholesale:Replica Prada Wholesale
Replica Bag Wholesale:Replica Bag Wholesale
マジコン:マジコン
Replica Handbags:Replica Handbags
Prada Replica Handbags:Prada Replica Handbags
Christian Dior Replica:Christian Dior Replica
Gucci Fake Handbags:Gucci Fake Handbags
Giverchy Handbags:Giverchy Handbags
Gucci Handbag:Gucci Handbag
Louis Vuitton Handbags:Louis Vuitton Handbags