Alaska Politics Blog

This is the place to talk about Alaska politics, state, local, national. Public life in the Last Frontier has rarely been more interesting -- a full slate of federal and state elections, the influence of former Gov. Sarah Palin, the usual hardball Alaska politics. Come here for news, tidbits and information, and join the discussion. We encourage lively debate, but please keep it civil and stay on point. Don't use profanity, make crude comments or attack other posters. Posts that violate the Terms of Use will be deleted. Repeat offenders will lose their ability to post comments.

New Senate organization announced - 11/7/2012 12:48 pm

Homer Revealed - 8/22/2012 2:08 pm

Seven-day countdown - 5/25/2012 8:37 pm

Anchorage city clerk resigns (UPDATED) - 5/23/2012 10:51 am

Gara to seek re-election - 5/2/2012 2:04 pm

For one lawmaker: Good news - 4/27/2012 12:20 pm

Anticipation in the Capitol - 4/26/2012 11:38 am

Election Commission finds 1/2 of precincts ran out of ballots; recommends no investigation - 4/25/2012 5:08 pm

Troopergate hearing (Updated: 12-0 vote to release the report)

Kyle Hopkins is at the Legislative Council meeting with his iPhone. Come back for updates. We're posting updated stories on the homepage.

4:11 p.m.: The Legislative Council just voted 12-0 to release the report, except for certain parts they consider confidential.

The reports are to be available immediately, but no one seems to know where to get them here at the Legislative offices.

3:55 p.m.: : You can stream audio of the meeting here.

3:45 p.m.: The leg council just opened it's doors. We're expecting a vote ...

Open session about to begin.Open session about to begin.

3 p.m.: So here's something to consider while we wait for the Legislative Council to vote -- and yes, we're still waiting:

The council needs eight votes to release the investigator's report. Three members of the 14-member council aren't here -- Rep. Ralph Samuels, Rep. John Harris and Sen. Gary Wilken.

Unless they called in after the meeting started, that means they're automatic "no votes."

So what's going on behind those doors? Do they have enough votes to make the report public?

Sen. John Cowdery isn't here, but phoned in. Actually -- that raises another question. Say this decision comes down to one vote? Does the fact that Cowdery has been indicted become part of debate.

Also: Someone is handing out granola bars to reporters. Everyone had a caffeine crash about an hour ago, but they opened a door to a soda machine and we all bought Diet Dr. Peppers.

2:15 p.m.: Rep. Nancy Dahlstrom just told us to expect to wait another hour before we hear anything.

2:15 p.m.2:15 p.m.

1:35 p.m.: Still nothing ... We haven't even seen the legislators pop out for another bathroom break.

Reporters are sitting along the hallway & and filling a nearby conference room, eating sandwiches and staring at laptops. Palin spokesman Bill McAllister is talking to a BBC reporter, while local bloggers have returned expecting the closed-door meeting would have ended by now.

A guy in a chair across from me, with a wireless microphone sitting on his chest, has fallen asleep.

12 noon: Sen. Kim Elton, D-Juneau and the Legislative Council chairman, stepped out for a bathroom break and was asked how it was going inside. "I'm not going to characterize it," he said. "I'm tempted to, but I won't." None of the others coming and going from the room have had anything to say.

Then Jeff Turner, an aide to the Senate majority, came out and said it would be at least another hour until any official word emerges from within.

11:50 a.m.: It may be a while. Green just stepped outside again and reports they're now on page 20 of the 200-plus page document. "Go home," she advised.

The Legislature's Troopergate investigator, Steve Branchflower, walks back into the closed session while state Rep. Bob Lynn, R-Anchorage, walks out.The Legislature's Troopergate investigator, Steve Branchflower, walks back into the closed session while state Rep. Bob Lynn, R-Anchorage, walks out.

10:45 a.m.: Sen. Lyda Green just stepped outside and asked reporters if they realized the closed proceedings could take hours. She indicated they were just a little bit into the report.

A group of Palin supporters has lined up outside the legislative    offices chanting "Go Sarah Go!" One of the people who dressed as clown earlier, David Boyle, led a sing-a-long of what I think is the Alaska flag song. A man who recently asked me if I'd signed in at a Palin campaign press conference split the crowd into to groups, one chanting "Sarah," the other "Palin."A group of Palin supporters has lined up outside the legislative offices chanting "Go Sarah Go!" One of the people who dressed as clown earlier, David Boyle, led a sing-a-long of what I think is the Alaska flag song. A man who recently asked me if I'd signed in at a Palin campaign press conference split the crowd into to groups, one chanting "Sarah," the other "Palin."

9:20 a.m.:: They just closed the blinds on the window into meeting room and shut the door.

Before they closed the door, Rep. Peggy Wilson asked if Sen. Kim Elton if he had enough time to digest the report.

"I could have spent four days ..." he said.

Meeting underway.Meeting underway.

9:15 a.m.: Before the meeting, we rode the elevator with Rep. David Guttenberg.

'What's the headline?' Wes asked.

'Page 97, appendix B' he said.

Not sure if that was a joke or tip.

9:15 a.m.: Original post from David Hulen at the office - The Legislative Council is gathering in Anchorage to receive its report from investigator Steve Branchflower. We're expecting the council to hear from Branchflower in a closed session, followed, at some point, with a decision whether to issue the report. We have several people there; Kyle Hopkins is making and sending pictures with his iPhone.

More pictures after the jump

McCain-Palin supporters waved balloons and welcomed legislators to    "the circus" as they walked to the meeting.McCain-Palin supporters waved balloons and welcomed legislators to "the circus" as they walked to the meeting.

The Legislative Council prepares to meet.The Legislative Council prepares to meet.

Outside.Outside.

Looking into the meeting room.Looking into the meeting room.

The legislative office building downtown where the meeting is happening.The legislative office building downtown where the meeting is happening.

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.