Talk Dirt To Me

Gardening in Alaska presents big challenges, whether it's the extra effort in finding plants tough enough to survive our Zone 2-4 climate, communicating with like-minded Alaska gardeners, or keeping up with the latest trends, issues and solutions. We'll try to help with that. We'll also tour gardens from Homer to Anchorage to Wasilla to Willow whenever we get the chance, and post the best garden photos around. Presenting a forum about cold-weather gardening and for cold-weather gardeners is what we are all about. We hope you'll join us on the Talk Dirt garden blog.

Photographer and gardener Fran Durner (fdurner@adn.com) writes the blog.

February Garden Calendar - 1/29/2010 9:28 am

UA Anchorage recognized as a Tree Campus USA - 1/27/2010 10:36 am

Stone walls provide beauty and exercise - 1/26/2010 8:43 am

USDA program for high tunnels offered - 1/25/2010 8:08 pm

Worms could eat your garbage too - 1/24/2010 8:01 pm

Wildflower Garden Club offers annual scholarship - 1/21/2010 1:08 pm

Where did you find inspiration last year? - 1/19/2010 3:57 pm

Zaumseils say farewell for now - 1/18/2010 3:57 pm

In pursuit of fruit trees

Send in your garden photos!
View Garden Photos
View September Calendar

Mike writes: Several readers have contacted me since last week's story about fruit trees in the Anchorage Daily News.

Is it still possible to find some fruit trees in nurseries, they ask?

My suggestions:

1. Visit Doug Tryck's nursery in south Anchorage off Rabbit Road ASAP! He is one of the longtime fruit growers in our area, and he has a beautiful display of fruit trees in his nursery. He can tell you what rootstock his trees are on (lots of retail nurseries are clueless on this). Be nice to his dogs; they'll return your love. Until October 1, he's open Saturday 10-5 and Sunday noon-5.

Tryck Gardens and Nursery
3625 Rabbit Creek Rd.
Anchorage, AK 99516
Phone: 907-345-2148
Email: trynur@alaska.net

2. We saw some fruit trees at Mile 5.2 Greenhouse on our last visit; I suggest calling ahead to see what might still be available. That Eagle River nursery is on winter hours (Fri-Sun, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.) now.

17026 Santa Maria Dr
Eagle River
mile52@alaska.com
(907) 694-3978

3. Bell's Nursery & Gifts has a few trees left in stock, too:
3125 DeArmoun Rd
Anchorage
(907) 345-2654