Dropout numbers plague UA freshmen : comments

Return to Dropout numbers plague UA freshmen

70     December 18, 2009 - 2:41am | satwik_dh

الأسطورة

الأسطورة سندباد الصغير منتديات الاباء القران الكريم تفسير القران استمع للقران الكريم منتديات البحرين تفسير الأحلام توظيف و توريد عماله اسرار اعجاز اقران
دليل منتدى دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل منتدى الكون تحميل صور دليل
دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل تحميل صور مركز تحميل صور دليل مواقع مركز تحميل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل مركز تحميل شبكة اسلامية مركز تحميل دليل شات -دردشه دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل منتديات دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دردشة قريش قبيلة قريش قبيله قريش موقع قريش دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل منتديات دليل دليل دليل دليل دليل دردشة منتديات يوتيوب

flag this »

69     June 4, 2008 - 11:25am | hawkeygirl

freshman dropouts

Do the statistics factor in students that come to UA for their first year and then transfer out of state? I had a LOT of friends do that at UAF. And from my understanding, unless they stay within the UA system, they're off the radar, and even if they come back, it's counted differently, since they weren't "continuing freshmen."

Also, you don't need AP classes to be prepared for college. My school didn't offer AP classes and I was still good enough to test out of the English 111 and Math 107 classes (which at first I thought meant I wouldn't have to take math at all... I was bummed to find out that I still did). I think a lot of high school is just dumbing down. I had a home-schooled friend come in to class with me one day and she said that they just gave us busy work and didn't teach us anything. I loved my teachers, but in a lot of cases, it was a little bit of lecture and "here's a worksheet," why do a worksheet in class? Isn't that what homework is? So people get to college and are shocked that they actually have to do... work? outside of class??? instead of PARTYING?!?!? too much.

flag this »

68     June 1, 2008 - 9:38am | steinfeld

Customer service

I completed a private 4 year university in the lower 48 and then took classes towards a graduate degree at UAA when I returned to Alaska. I noticed a stark difference in customer service. The private school catered to students with outstanding customer service. They knew students had choices and they were happy that students had chosen to attend their university. We always felt welcomed and valued. I was surprised when I got to UAA because it was entirely different. The attitude was more of, "take it or leave it", if you don't like it hear go outside to a more expensive school. Scheduling was difficult. Necessary classes weren't readily available. Other students and myself noticed that even if a student is motivated and wants to finish their degree "on time" it's nearly impossible because of the class offerings/schedule. Many of the professors had the attitude of, "so what if it takes you six years instead of four". People cannot afford to stay in college forever. They should be able to acquire their degree within a reasonable amount of time. Also, the customer service should be professional and helpful.

flag this »

67     May 29, 2008 - 8:33am | akprincess72

on another note...

There are a few VERY good professors at UAA, you just have to be willing to do the work to satisfy their standards. These educators are definitely hard but also very fair. If you apply yourself, they will reward your efforts with good grades. Don't take the easy way, search the 'good guys' out!

flag this »

66     May 28, 2008 - 6:42pm | kidrev2000

Boohoo

Give me a break. Anyone who knows anything about College education understands the difficulties. It is however very inexpensive to attend UAA. Student loans are easy to get and in state tuition is cheap.
What it boils down to is this. If she wanted a college education all she would have to do is apply herself and consider life a full time job. Mom and dad aren't there anymore so cowboy up you are an adult now.

flag this »

65     May 28, 2008 - 10:07am | seaton_dana

Reporters....

I know Rachael, and she told the reporter that she is going to further her education at Job Corps, yet there is no mention of this. Job Corps is a good program for people that are not ready for formal 2 to 4 year education. Something to get you started in the work force, or something to fall back on if your dream is getting a degree. Education is lacking in the beginning years, and children are told to strive for college, but are not ready for it when they graduate from high school and are not prepped. I think this is not just a UAA problem, but a nation wide problem with education in general.

flag this »

64     May 27, 2008 - 10:32pm | alaskanjade

Good time for examination at UAA

In 1998, one of the professors (professing from his podium) at UAA told the students, "if you want to write a paper about Alaska Natives, go down to 4th Avenue, and talk to them there, and be sure to quote Tom Tukaluk!" The class burst out in laughter, and I sat there in shock but only long enough to gather my senses and belongings and walked out. I only needed 3 more science credits for my AA degee, but coming from Bethel w/ strong cultural ties, I delayed my graduation by a semester and wrote a storm of letters. I had a precious Yup'ik Grandmother who never touched a drop of alcohol and other relatives and know of numerous Yup'iks who do not drink alcohol. To reduce my Grandmother's image to that level of ridicule was the most offensive thing anyone could ever say to me.

Later, I transferred to the southwest and now I'm an attorney after transfering for my BA and JD degrees. In neither Colorado or New Mexico schools did I ever hear anyone make racial comments as in my own state.

I can't help but wonder what the professors are doing to help and hinder our students up there. With these statistics, UAA will have to pursue a different approach. Thank someone!

Karole Kohl

flag this »

63     May 27, 2008 - 6:30pm | l_188

The UAA admin need to take a hard look at itself

Because as a 2 degree alumni I can safely say that they where the biggest enemy I had to completing a degree.

There customer service level is lousy. And during the first two years of college are when students need those people to be working for them the most.
Usually by the time the last two years arrive they are in a degree program and as a generally rule each of the individual colleges does alright, but they are in competition with the other colleges for students.

My rules of thumb for surviving UAA.

1. If you need advising or any buisness with the college done, do it at one of the extension campuses.

2. Seek out professors who are part time or have significant work history in their field. There are too many running around that have never gotten out of school.

3. Try and take as many classes off UAA proper as possible.

It is a shame that when I went there I had to consider the school the enemy. I had some great professors and will credit them with my success, but there is a lot of dead weight in the admin department.

But what do you expect. Fran was given that job as a political gift, Hamilton is just a beggar who ran off a very good chanceller. The UA board of regents isn't any better, just a buch of political hacks getting paid to run something that they shouldn't be running.

flag this »

62     May 27, 2008 - 6:20pm | Emperor

It's time...

...to completely revamp our educational system, from the ground up. From pre-school to post graduate school.

Our school system was designed for families that needed their children to work in the fields or in the family business. That's why we have short school days and summer vacation. Nobody was 'required' by the government to attend school. Then only the very best and brightest went on to post secondary education.

A quick google search for "university freshman drop out rate" shows that the drop out rate isn't limited to UAA, it's wide spread, and has been a major problem for quite awhile. The same can be said about the 33% drop out rate of ASD, which is near the national average.

So let's rid ourselves of the notion that this is merely a local problem. It's bigger than that... much bigger. If we're going to 'fix' whats wrong, we have to look at education in context with our changing culture. Kids aren't needed like they were on the family farm or business, which means they have too much time on their hands. We have to consider the growing number of single parent households, and two earner families. We have to understand that many parents even when available are unable to help with homework due to their own education and limitations. We also need to focus on the main purpose of educating our children, preparing them to be productive members of society. We have to recognize that one-size-fits-all education fits very few well.

So first things. School vouchers. Parents know best what will work best for their children. I wouldn't send my kids to a religious school, and probably not even a private school. But as long as the school meets state curriculum standards why should we care what they teach in addition? It would help reduce over crowding, and offer options for students with special needs.

Next. Full day, year round school for grades 7-12. 9-6 Monday through Friday. 12 week quarters with one week break in between. If we are serious about preparing our kids for life after school, they need to know that doesn't mean 6 hour days and 3 months vacations every year.

We have to stop passing the buck. If a child isn't ready to move on to the next grade then we need to hold them back. Passing kids because we don't want them to have the stigma for being held back isn't doing them, the other students, or the teachers any favors. At the very least students should be tested at 3rd, 6th and 9th grade to make sure they meet the minimum requirements to move on.

While every child should have the "opportunity" to go on to higher education, that doesn't mean they all should go on. Some people just aren't cut out for it, which is why I think we have so many college freshman dropouts. The final two years of high school should be tailored to the students post high school goals. Which could include enrolling at university, attending a technical school like AVTEC, Community and Technical College. or Charter College, Apprenticeship Opportunities or enlist in the military.

The goal shouldn't be getting a diploma or certificate. The goal should be whatever is next for the student. When they enter high school, students should be encouraged to start thinking about what they may want to do after high school. Perhaps even have a required "Life Planning" course where they could investigate different alternatives and create their own path to life after High School. The last two years of high school would be focused on the student completing the things necessary for them to continue with their life plan, in and out of school.

As a fail safe, the Job Corps program should be expanded. There is no legitimate reason why there should be a 6 month waiting list to join the Alaska Job Corps

So are we ready and willing to quit pointing fingers and making the kind of fundamental, radical changes to our education system that our current results (or lack thereof) suggests we should? I doubt it. I don't think there is the leadership in the school administration building, our local school board or the state board of education. But at the very least, lets acknowledge what the "real" problems are. It's not parents. It's not teachers. It's not money. It's an antiquated system that is well past the time for it to be overhauled.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 7:34pm | RebekahAnderson

While I love the idea of a

While I love the idea of a year round school... a friend pointed out a major flaw to my belief: Not everyone lives in suburbia.

There are people who live on the farm, run the family business, and in Alaska participate in seasonal activities (fishing for example). The more we forget this, the more we'll be stuck on foreign countries for our basic needs. Saying that farms and family businesses is an old way of thinking, means we have lived in luxury long enough to forget about necessities of a society.

We need to stop thinking that 9 - 6 is the only way we make our living. That's why drop outs usually give up... they think, "If I can't make it to college, I can't do anything" I do believe high school should offer more for preparing for life. School counselors are a joke. Mine would get angry when I would ask her questions, talk about changing my schedule, or what I wanted to do to prepare for. She had "work" to do and I was interrupting. That's why I laughed when I found out assisting me (and other students) was her jobs purpose.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 11:55pm | Emperor

I agree...

...to a point.

It's true that there are still cases where the family farm/business relies on the next generation to continue their legacy forward. They are the the very small minority however. That's where school vouchers could come in to make learning and participating in the family business is part of the curriculum of the school. The key is to provide more options and flexibility in education not less. From personal experience, working in the family business teaches the best life lessons. Particularly long hours and hard work.

9-6 isn't the only way to make a living, and probably not even the best way. But even teachers don't keep to 6 hour days 9 months of the year. Teacher's work before and after the school day, and are working at a second job in the summer. Six hour days and three months off isn't a very realistic presentation of life after school is it?

We have to teach that there are GOOD alternatives to going to a university. Just because someone doesn't go to college doesn't make them a failure or less of a valuable participant in our society. The problem is that all teachers went to college, so of course they are going to think that is what is best for everyone.

I also agree that the ASD counselors are pretty worthless, at least the ones that I have dealt with over the years. That's one reason why I want to encourage our kids to take their future into their own hands - and minds.

flag this »

61     May 27, 2008 - 4:49pm | jetjsr2

Unrealistic expectations

The girl in the article took english 111 her second semester and found it too hard? How did she graduate from high school? She obviously had no idea what she was getting into. You have to start preparing in high school for college and that means taking AP or honors courses while you are there. One of the added benefits of this is getting an idea of how much work and discipline is involved in university level classes. If this basic preparation has not been done first then it is going to take some time to get up to speed at a University. The expectation that she was going to walk into UAA unprepared and walk out a psychologist was very unrealistic and someone should have told her so. She should have been encouraged to start slow and get a good educational foundation first. This is a great example for current high schoolers - do the work now or pay for it in lost opportunity later.

flag this »

May 28, 2008 - 10:23am | seaton_dana

I think that "AP" classes

I think that "AP" classes should be the norm, because they prepare you for college, but unfortunately most of our students in AK are in remedial classes in high school. No she wasn't prepared, but at least she took the risk to get out there and try. And unfortunately the reporter didn't mention the rest of what Rachael had to say. The reporter only interviewed two people and used bits and pieces, making Rachael sound retarded and lazy.
This is also why we should invest in early education, push for higher standards, and close the gap between high school and college. Your first year of college shouldn't be a repeat of high school, but it shouldn't be a huge jump either from it either!

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 7:46pm | RebekahAnderson

I agree

I graduated from ASD and went on to UAA for my associates. I was amazed at how many students couldn't handle basic freshman classes: English, Math, Communication, Biology... for me it was ALL a repeat of high school. Nothing was new.

What amazed me was how many students didn't know the basics. Most the class didn't know how to write an essay (a few didn't know how to write a paragraph), most didn't know basic algebra, few understood the importance of communication, let alone how to properly communicate with someone. Most students would read an essay and they couldn't express anything more than "It was stupid" or sat there in complete silence with nothing to say.

Honestly, I would like to see a comparison done on the drop outs of UAA... which school districts did they come from. You even could look at the successful kids and see what school districts they came from, give the school district a comparison... 65% of your students who come to our school fail. That would let them know what their doing right or wrong.

flag this »

60     May 27, 2008 - 3:51pm | leilasmith2003

Lower 48 colleges

I just came from a college graduation in Seattle, my niece graduated from PLU, they helped her through the four years, she graduated because she knew what she wanted to do, same with my other niece who graduated from Georgetown, and my nephew who graduated from Sitka, UAA, my sister worked from the bottom up to the Director of IHS, she is the first in our family to make it to a high position without a degree, but, her children made sure they were not going to struggle from the bottom up, they all have degrees, it really goes to show that when parents take the time to instill the value of a degree in their kids when their young, they eventually go and they finish, my sister is a wonderful mother and I give her alot of credit because she made the commitment in life to succeed.
She helped her children to succeed.
It's all a matter of taking support to a whole nuther level! haha!

flag this »

59     May 27, 2008 - 3:07pm | hrenee

UAA

If UAA would focus more on keeping tuition and campus fees down instead of trying to impress us with big, brand new buildings that most students do not utilize on a regular basis, they would have more success with students staying and graduating. And the tuition continues to go up and up......

flag this »

58     May 27, 2008 - 2:52pm | jlhobson

High schools

High schools, but even middle and elementary, pressure people to go on to college. It's unrealistic and it means those who aren't realistically suited for college attend. It's a waste of time for everyone. There's no shame in not going to college, and our schools need to realize that.

-College Senior

flag this »

57     May 27, 2008 - 2:41pm | jbartman

dist ed

Take it from a current UAA student: PLEASE expand distance Education, more options like online courses allow the diverse Alaskan population to obtain their degrees esp when ppl are working on the slope, fishing, or whatever people may be doing - the point is Alaska is a unique place that there are many factors to consider compared to many other places but I believe distance ed is a good place to start.

flag this »

56     May 27, 2008 - 12:25pm | steewie

UAA DROP OUT RATE

We have gradutations from pre-school, grade school, middle school, ,,,,,we have graduations if kids put on their own socks.We make a big deal out of nothing so kids expect a parade if they do their homework, What happened to go to school do your best , work hard, study, have parents that are involved. NO excuses,,no whinning....
People are spoiled and Expect things to he handed to them , not to work for it.
I worked , went to UAA , graduated and have worked and traveld since.
LIFE IT TOUGH, deal with it and make the most out of it.

flag this »

55     May 27, 2008 - 12:04pm | mattai

Where's the Community Colleges?

I don't live in Alaska, but isn't taking remedial classes done at the community college level and not a 4-year university. Maybe that's the problem with Alaska. There should be more community colleges independent of UAA, so that when students transfer to UAA, they are more prepared, and UAA doesn't have to focus time and resources on underperforming students.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 2:17pm | alaska4us

Community colleges

When I moved up here I wondered that myself. When I lived in Virginia they had a few community colleges and some of those colleges had what was called a 2+2 articulation agreement with one or two of the universities. This meant that the student signed an agreement that they would attend the community college for two years whicle keeping in contact with the accepting university regarding the students classes, and complete their GER's at the community college which was much more cost effective for families (TNCC's current in-state tuition is $76.65 per credit hour, out-of-state is 248.80). Upon successful completion of classes at the community college the student would be admitted into the accepting university with the credits taken at the community college being accepted towards the person's degree.

This really helped people go to a smaller school and get their lower level classes out of the way and pay reasonable tuition which in turn kept their student loans down before they went to a university to complete their degree and take on a much larger tuition commitment. When you come to school here in Alaska the options are limited to UAA and maybe some business school. I think a community college or two that offered two year degrees or some type of 2+2 articulation agreement with UAA, if a student wanted to continue on to UAA, would be a great idea for people. It would be nice for some students to have that option.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 2:47pm | l_188

we used to have them

But they all where merged into the UA system back in the early 1980's.

I am one who still feels that this was a mistake.

flag this »

54     May 27, 2008 - 11:44am | joedaman55

This University is the Problem

The problem discussed in this article is a growing problem within the Anchorage community. Who's at fault for this? The university without question. I just recently dropped out, no I am not a first year drop out but rather a fifth year engineering student drop out who has a strong background in science, English, and computer science. There was two reasons I chose to drop out. One I felt I was getting graded unfairly, and two there was no way I felt to improve the situation.

For example I took a physics exam and found I got a 14% on it. I wonder how could this be since I did my homework all the time and study an extreme amount of time (more than most of the students in the class). Well going through my test I notice I was getting graded so unfairly it was ridiculous. I can recount doing a very long problem on enginneering statics and everything was right but one thing; I forgot to multiply by gravity. Well thats maybe a point off correct. Wrong I missed 9 out of 10 points. I compared my grading to another student and found that she was about five steps behind me and managed to get 5 out of 10 instead of 1 out of 10. This was not the only class this happened in.

In another high end engineering class I got a problem completely correct. The result, a 3 out of 20. Why? Because of improper solving techniques. Unfortunately I wrote the rules of the problem in a math relation up top. Due to the problem not being portrayed like the others I was harshly graded on a test.

Not every example is like this, but a large number are. Maybe the teachers didn't like me, or maybe it was the method. Either or the results will remain the same for some students out there. This is a shame. The University of Anchorage Alaska experience has left me scarred and most likely never returning to college.

flag this »

May 28, 2008 - 7:50am | AKPatriot

UAA may be a problem, but not everyone can be an Engineer

When engineers make simple mistakes like that, bad BAD things typically happen. Ever heard of Engieneering Disasters on TV? Bridges collapse, people die, huge financial impacts, need I go on. BTW - I am an Engineer - BS ChemE '98 (obviously not from UAA)

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 1:12pm | hannah6

Maybe in Engineering

it is important to use the proper "solving techniques."

Maybe multiplying by gravity is really important in Engineering.

Maybe we're all lucky you decided to not to become an engineer. I can't believe you put five years into it before dropping out. I can't believe that after five years you don't realize the importance of accuracy in engineering.

No, I don't think it's the school.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 1:11pm | fat_freddys_cat

You want

Some cheese to go along with that WHINE. Its the U dude not the UAA one.

flag this »

53     May 27, 2008 - 11:40am | aroundthewaydj

Just goes to show...

Not only is Carol Comeau doing a crappy job at keeping kids in school, but UAA does a crappy job at keeping kids in Alaska! Here's a bright idea... let's throw more money at the liberal problem! OR.... as parents we could teach our children the importance of a COMPLETE education.

flag this »

52     May 27, 2008 - 11:21am | beckster_ak

Solutions

Well I don't think things are all that much different then when I graduated from UAA back in 1984. There were kids enrolled back then who could barely tie their shoes, and never made it past the 1st quarter, much less the second semester.

UAA is starting to require proficiency requirements, at least in the programs where there are too many students for the classes available. Copies of similar tests should be made available to high school freshmen (and their parents) so they know what to expect when they get to college, and can either learn it for free in high school, or Mom and Dad can pay for it later.

The mentoring program suggested is a good idea, although I'm not sure show many juniors & seniors are going to find time or have the desire to help 1st year students. There will be a few, maybe more if incentives come into play. Perhaps some help might come from UAA alumni. There's many avenues to be explored here.

flag this »

51     May 27, 2008 - 10:50am | ENTJ

A lot of kids go because....

I think a lot of kids go to UAA not knowing what they want to study, or even why they want to go to college. Basically, they don't have solid reasons to pursue a degree.

After a year, they decide it's hard work...and move on to something easier.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 1:14pm | hannah6

In a lot of cases

I'll bet you are absolutely correct!

flag this »

50     May 27, 2008 - 10:48am | eymiym

the problem begins...

Having lived in various communities and sampled the public school systems; dumbing down is a serious problem in our schools. Particularly in our rural school systems will you find good, hardworking teachers who hold high expectations, who force the students to think, think, think penalized by weak educational leaders and bullying parents that are totally out of touch with what the kids are really up to. Joe Public is getting exactly what he is asking for: kids that can't even rub two thoughts together and are ill prepared for either work or higher education. The mediocre teachers are celebrated for the mediocrity coming out of their classrooms while the courageous, truly give a damn teachers are marginalized. I have seen it, experienced both as a parent with kids in the system and as an employee of the schools. I am in awe of the stupidity of it all.

flag this »

49     May 27, 2008 - 11:00am | gunner125

It's interesting...

It's interesting that this article i supposed to talk about UA as a whole while all of the comments (and the article) seem to deal with UAA while not including UAF and UAS. I think one would find quite a disparity between UAF and UAA when looking at these numbers. My intuition is that UAA by itself would have worse numbers that this illustrates, which is also sad.

flag this »

48     May 27, 2008 - 10:08am | Glory_to_God

40 years later

In 1964 all citizen became entitled to the priviledges of postsecondary education. Now, after one generation the educational priviledges are expected and are consequently taken for granted.

In 1953 many citizens became entitled to welfare. Now, after one generation, welfare is expected.

In 1965 many citizens became entitled to housing assistance. Now, after one generation, housing assistance is expected.

In 1973 many citizens became entitled to make choices concerning other peoples' lives. After one generation, choices will be expected.

Anyone care about the possible solutions?

First, parents should be given the responsiblity of emphasizing the importants of education.

Second, welfare would be substantially diminished by allowing an international labor market.

Third, housing assistance would be substantially diminished by allowing an international housing market.

Fourth, choices with other peoples' lives would be substantially diminished in a police state.

Thank God that as a nation we still trust in God. Reference: The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. (Psalm 9:17)

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 1:07pm | Rockin_Mel_Slurrup

You forgot this one

Malachi 2: 3 Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.

The problem is bad parenting.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 2:17pm | zippy_pinhead

Endor? Who knew the Ewoks were involved...

Which perished at Endor: they became as dung for the earth.

flag this »

47     May 27, 2008 - 10:07am | d5acrewud

UAA's problems

xxx

flag this »

46     May 27, 2008 - 10:03am | casino

the american dream

success is money and brain power. to succeed people really have to be confident in their financial management. The sooner kids realize that college is cheap, and should be encouraged to continue on in college. But, money is only half the business.

flag this »

45     May 27, 2008 - 9:58am | d5acrewud

All public education is failing...

xxx

flag this »

44     May 27, 2008 - 9:52am | l_mcn

not to be rude

but aren't alaskas colleges a bit easier when it comes to academics? not that you can't apply yourself and do well, but that the out of state colleges are harder, aren't they?

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 7:59pm | RebekahAnderson

I had several UAA teachers

I had several UAA teachers tell us on the side that UAF was the better school and UAA was the cash cow.

BUT UAA, I've been told UAA's Nursing program and Dental Hygiene program are really good.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 10:20am | urban_eskimo

UAF has a fine engineering

UAF has a fine engineering and geology program, UAA is no standout in any area. Overall, the UA system is not anything to brag about. Perhaps it's time to reassess the UA system and start over. With the money being thrown at education, perhaps a system to be proud of would be nice to have.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 10:08am | akprincess72

Kind of

Certain degrees are given a bit more leeway, while others can hold their own with any out of state/private university. Some degrees have their own industry standards & accreditations that they must comply with. No leeway at all is given there.

flag this »

43     May 27, 2008 - 9:49am | lovelybabieshamz

Wow

This makes any student that is currently struggling to actually get their degree look bad. So many students need to have access to that free internet to actually do their work, and heres some kid using it to look at cartoons and making it sound like her failed education is because of the internet. Good grief!
I'm a student at UAA, and while I'm just starting my education, I still know that I have to actually fight to get my degree, not just attend class and they'll hand it to me. I'm 24 yrs old, working full time, and going to school full time taking 13 credits. Will it burn me out? Oh yeah, most likely, but I know that I have a husband and home to encourage me, and I know that once I get my degree I'll have some direction in my life instead of hopping from one job to another.
Plain and simple, the kids that are graduating lately, seriously need a reality check and need to grow the heck up. Life is about facing challenges, not living off mommy and daddy and hoping that things are going to be handed to you. It doesn't work that way.
For all you college drop-outs that are going no-where in life because you think COLLEGE is hard, when you have yet to even know what LIFE is like, I give you a sarcastic 2 thumbs-up and I'll see you at my local fast food restaurant!

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 11:03am | akmc

Want a cookie?

I think it's great that you're working, going to school, and married. But if you want a freaking standing ovation for it you should get over yourself.

I DO know what life is like, and that means that college isn't for everyone. Not everyone should put up tons of money that they may not be able to afford just so that you won't mock them at McDonalds. People with your attitude are worthless - college degree or not.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 12:27pm | akprincess72

Misunderstood?

I read it not as her slamming those who realize & admit that college isn't for them. Instead she was slamming those who take no responsibility for themselves/their grades/their actions & think a diploma should be just handed to them.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 1:06pm | akmc

Yes I did.

You know, I think I didn't quite catch that part before I commented.

I'm very testy about the issue of people going to college!

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 1:59pm | akprincess72

I am too! =)

I have stopped going to school so that my husband can focus on his education. The result of this will mean he will be paid better than any degree I could graduate with! This was a choice we made together so that he then has the freedom & time to devote himself to getting good grades. It is working too, he is on the Dean's List (again) in an engineering discipline. Some people though are perfect for school, like my husband, he gets annoyed but really enjoys the academic environment. I would just rather they give me the books & let me amuse myself, I was going to school more for fun. Those who view me as a 'lesser' because I don't have a degree are simply limiting themselves with their own ignorance.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't understand that you can truly enjoy learning without ever getting a college degree.

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 1:22pm | hannah6

Hey, I know what you mean.

The richest person in my family is my older brother. He is a multi-millionaire and I think he might've attended college for a year at the most.

Just because he didn't get a college degree doesn't mean he wasn't educating himself, though. Learned to speak, read and write Chinese fluently and is in the import business. Very successful. All without college. He's just smart!

flag this »

May 27, 2008 - 10:09am | akprincess72

Keep this mindset

& you will succeed & be just fine!
Good luck! =)

flag this »

42     May 27, 2008 - 9:41am | carmie

Low Standards and bad behavior

If you really want to understand the problem, go substitute teach in the Wasilla or Palmer High Schools, as I have. The accepted standards of behavior and scholastic achievement are so low it's unbelievable. We would be better off letting more students fail, so at least part of them could get a good education. Then there's Burshell where students couldn't even tell me what what the movie "Apocalypse Now" was about after watching it in class.

flag this »