Local community activist to be honored

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Cheryl Richardson 272-0738
June 15, 2011 cheryl.d.richardson@gmail.com

Walt Parker Sustainable Community Award
'Far reaching service making Anchorage a great place to live, now and into the future.'

Walt Parker has spent over half a century making Alaska a better place to live, and decades in Anchorage as an elected official, transportation expert, university professor, environmental advocate, urban planner, dog musher, founder of parks and always a spokesman for open and fair public process.

A dozen organizations have come together to establish the Walt Parker Sustainable Community Award. The award is designed to celebrate citizens who work to create a healthy community for today and into the future. This is the beginning of a new tradition to celebrate a vibrant, just and sustainable community.

John Weddleton says: "I once quipped that Walt has forgotten more than I know. I was quickly corrected. Walt hasn’t forgotten a thing."

On Sunday, June 26 at the Anchorage Senior Center from 6-9pm the public is invited to join in the celebration of Walt Parker and the virtues of community service. Tickets can be purchased from the Anchorage Citizens Coalition website or by calling 274-2624.

It’s a citizen celebration! The following cosponsors join in honoring Walt:

Alaska Center for the Environment
Alaska Conservation Alliance
Alaska Conservation Foundation
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association
Anchorage Citizens Coalition
Anchorage Transition
Anchorage Trails and Greenways Coalition
Bicycle Commuters of Anchorage
Cook Inletkeeper
Friends of Bicentennial Park
Prince William Sound Regional Citizens' Advisory Council