Iditarod Live: The Sled Blog

Polar bear patrol with Sebastian Schnuelle - 11/15/2012 6:09 pm

Seavey on why he sued: 'I feel like I'm doing the right thing' - 5/22/2012 5:14 pm

Jonrowe wins dog care award; Mackey honored for sportsmanship - 3/18/2012 9:44 pm

Happy trails - 3/16/2012 2:47 pm

Third-place Ramey Smyth: 'I almost didn't get to the start line' - 3/16/2012 7:15 am

Meet the Sled Dogs: Colleen & Penny - 3/15/2012 7:09 pm

WATCH: Rapping dog musher finishes Iditarod, raps about the race - 3/15/2012 3:37 pm

Mackey: 'It wasn't the stellar performance I was expecting' - 3/15/2012 12:47 pm

Meanwhile, back at the dog lot, Danny Seavey shoots a moose

While his brother, dad and grandpa are out on the Iditarod trail, Danny Seavey is home in Seward, filing frequent reports on Facebook and Twitter about the family's progress.

He became the subject of his own story Friday, and he told it with humor and skill. Here it is, from dad Mitch's Facebook fan page:

Sorry about the gap in coverage there folks. I was sitting here minding my own business when my grandma called and said to get over there in a hurry with a gun; there was a moose in the dog yard. Dan (my grandpa) and I share a dog lot, and I live next door. We just have the few dogs left that didn't race.

We have moose in the yard all the time, so I didn't think much of it, but when I got there, poor Grits (a Peach grandson) was hiding in his house while the moose was jumping up and down on top of it. I shot him from a long ways away with some bird shot, enough to sting him but not hurt him. He stopped pouncing on Grits, and stood in the middle of the yard licking his lips. Our houses are 55 gallon plastic barrels bolted onto railroad ties. They are big and heavy enough the dogs can't pull them around. Grits was trying to hide in his house, but it had been kicked off it's base, and was rolling around his circle.

The moose and I stood there and stared at each other for better than half an hour, with Grits panicking in between. He started my way once, but a shot in the air changed his mind.

I was carrying two guns, a 12 gauge loaded with light shot, and a .44 in case we had to make an offer he couldn't refuse. I use the 12 gauge regularly, haven't used the .44 in 15 years.

Finally the moose started moving, and I thought it was over, then he spun around and came right at me. I emptied the 12 gauge, and switched to the .44 when the moose was about 10 feet away. He ran out of steam about the time I ran out of bullets. He died where I was standing when I started shooting.

The dogs are all ok, and you'll probably get to see it on TV, evidently there's an Alaska Troopers show, and I just happened to get assigned the trooper who got the TV crew. Fortunately there was a local charity that was available, and they've already come and got the moose.

Just another day in the office.

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.