Iditarod Live: The Sled Blog

Polar bear patrol with Sebastian Schnuelle - 11/15/2012 6:09 pm

Seavey on why he sued: 'I feel like I'm doing the right thing' - 5/22/2012 5:14 pm

Jonrowe wins dog care award; Mackey honored for sportsmanship - 3/18/2012 9:44 pm

Happy trails - 3/16/2012 2:47 pm

Third-place Ramey Smyth: 'I almost didn't get to the start line' - 3/16/2012 7:15 am

Meet the Sled Dogs: Colleen & Penny - 3/15/2012 7:09 pm

WATCH: Rapping dog musher finishes Iditarod, raps about the race - 3/15/2012 3:37 pm

Mackey: 'It wasn't the stellar performance I was expecting' - 3/15/2012 12:47 pm

Iditarod's first twins plan to caravan to Nome

Anna Berington walks Stormy at left and Kristy Berington walks Blue Thursday in Takotna. The mushers are identical twins and the first sisters to run the Iditarod. (Marc Lester / Anchorage Daily News)Anna Berington walks Stormy at left and Kristy Berington walks Blue Thursday in Takotna. The mushers are identical twins and the first sisters to run the Iditarod. (Marc Lester / Anchorage Daily News)

Kyle Hopkins in Takotna --

Nevermind the mountains. The toughest part of the 2012 Iditarod would be resisting the temptation to race at her rookie sister's side, Kristy Berington predicted before the start.

Turns out she’s not even trying. The identical twins spotted each other in the Skwentna checkpoint, just 66 miles into the race, and have been running together ever since.

“I recognized (Kristy) and I pulled over right away,” Anna Berington said early this morning. “We’ve just been going back and forth, taking turns leading the way.”

The 28-year-old Beringtons wrote similar run-and-rest schedules, meaning they sleep and race at roughly the same times. Even their dog teams are mirror images: A mix of puppies, 2-year-olds and veteran huskies.

The pair are the first twins and the first sisters to compete in the 975-mile race. They'll likely caravan all the way to Nome.

"It'd be hard not too at this point," Anna said.

Kristy Berington, left, and her sister Anna in Takotna. (Marc Lester / Anchorage Daily News)Kristy Berington, left, and her sister Anna in Takotna. (Marc Lester / Anchorage Daily News)The Berington sisters parked next to each other in Takotna.The Berington sisters parked next to each other in Takotna.

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.