Iditarod Live: The Sled Blog

Polar bear patrol with Sebastian Schnuelle - 11/15/2012 6:09 pm

Seavey on why he sued: 'I feel like I'm doing the right thing' - 5/22/2012 5:14 pm

Jonrowe wins dog care award; Mackey honored for sportsmanship - 3/18/2012 9:44 pm

Happy trails - 3/16/2012 2:47 pm

Third-place Ramey Smyth: 'I almost didn't get to the start line' - 3/16/2012 7:15 am

Meet the Sled Dogs: Colleen & Penny - 3/15/2012 7:09 pm

WATCH: Rapping dog musher finishes Iditarod, raps about the race - 3/15/2012 3:37 pm

Mackey: 'It wasn't the stellar performance I was expecting' - 3/15/2012 12:47 pm

Facebook: How to follow 25 Iditarod mushers in 5 minutes

cc

From Kyle Hopkins in Anchorage --

Iditarod mushers are as addicted to Facebook as the rest of us.

From Ken Anderson to Aliy Zirkle, here's a list of links to help you follow 20 current racers. Most are fan pages. In a few cases, I've linked to a musher's profile page if the page is clearly meant to communicate with fans.

You'll find Facebook is a great way to get to know the mushers and, during the race, read updates and analysis about their progress from support teams back home. (Dog sled drivers love Facebook so much that I usually turn to it first -- as opposed to phone calls -- when trying to reach them for off-season interviews.)

20 Iditarod mushers on Facebook:

-- Ken Anderson, 39
Fairbanks

-- John Baker, 49
Kotzebue

-- Martin Buser, 53
Big Lake

-- NEW!
Travis Cooper, 25
Big Lake

-- Hank Debruin, 49
Haliburton, Ontario

-- Zoya DeNure, 35
Gakona

-- Silvia Furtwangler
Rauland, Norway

-- Kelley Griffin, 52
Wasilla

-- Scott “Mushing Mortician” Janssen, 50
Anchorage

-- Jeff King, 56
Denali

-- NEW!
Jim Lanier, 71
Chugiak

-- Lance Mackey, 41
Fairbanks

-- NEW!
Kelly Maixner, 36
Big Lake

-- NEW!
Pat Moon, 35
Park Ridge, Illinois
(Iditarod veteran and recent Unalakleet mayor Middy Johnson has been posting analysis.)

-- Hugh Neff, 43
Tok

-- Braxton Peterson, 25
Fairbanks
(Peterson encouraged me to point people to his Facebook page if they're interested in his music with the rap group "The Musherz.")

-- NEW!
Nicolas Petite, 32
Girdwood

-- Michelle Phillips
Tagish, Yukon Territory

-- Karen Ramstead, 45
Perryvale, Alberta

-- Mike Santos, 43
Cantwell

-- Brent Sass, 32
Fairbanks

-- Dallas Seavey, 25
Willow

-- Anjanette Steer, 39
Sheep mountain

-- Ed Stielstra, 42
McMillan, Mich.

-- Aliy Zirkle, 41
Fairbanks

-- Kelly Maixner, 36

-- Mitch Seavey

© Copyright 2011, The Anchorage Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.