Discuss: Bear sightings

Have you seen any bears around town? Share your stories and locations and date of encounter and, if you have pictures, post them to the site.

NOTE: This is the 2008 forum. If you have a sighting from 2009, please post it here.

155     August 9, 2010 - 10:55pm | lovebracelet

tiffany notes

Great site. This could probably have the refactoring tag added t it. http://www.sedanshoppers.com/

flag this »

154     January 25, 2010 - 11:30pm | groupshoes

my opinion

Nice airtical, i would like to tell all of my friends about it. By the way, i would like to introduce everyone of you a very nice website, it offers cheap air max trainers for men and women. Such as Air max 1, air max 2, air max 90, nike air max 2009+, air max 2010 new, nike air max TN, nike air ltd trainers, air max 95. Dunk SB shoes, nike shox shoes. You can find almost all the nike series there, in huge collection and varies colorways. They have Latest style and classic style. Though their price are low, don't worry about it's quality. They are realll ones!!! I have bought from them for so many times, and very satisfied with the their goods and service. Come on, you'll love it.

flag this »

152     January 25, 2010 - 6:48pm | bony

Sony Ericsson Converter,

Sony Ericsson Converter, convert videos/audios with various kinds of formats to the format suitable for your Sony Ericsson
extract soundtracks or scenes of videos, adjust the effect of source files, crop the screen size of source files, and trim any length of source files...
iPod to iTunes Transfer
3GP Sony Ericsson Converter,
MP4 Sony Ericsson Converter,

flag this »

151     January 25, 2010 - 6:42pm | bony

Sony Ericsson Converter,

Sony Ericsson Converter, convert videos/audios with various kinds of formats to the format suitable for your Sony Ericsson
extract soundtracks or scenes of videos, adjust the effect of source files, crop the screen size of source files, and trim any length of source files...
iPod to iTunes Transfer
3GP Sony Ericsson Converter,
MP4 Sony Ericsson Converter,

flag this »

150     January 24, 2010 - 9:56pm | pass4sure

Pass4sure, a professional

Pass4sure, a professional training website in IT certification exam, is designed for IT candidates who want to pass any IT exams. With its high quality products and 24*7 considerable services, Pass4sure has strengthened its leading position in this field, and attracted many famous vendors like Cisco, Microsoft, IBM, Sun, compTIA, HP, etc.
The Most Popular exams List :
xk0-002 642-566 HP0-J22 642-973 642-661 642-974 350-029 N10-004 646-656 VCP-410 640-863 xk0-002 646-588 642-654 642-873 646-563 650-251 EC0-350 jn0-400 646-656 640-802
Click Pass 4 Sure to get more information!

flag this »

149     January 21, 2010 - 6:14pm | bony

Most music files that you

Most music files that you have bought from iTunes, Napster, Yahoo! Music, MSN Music, etc. are DRM protected
Protected Music Converter is a professional protected music file converter tool, to help you convert protected music files to unprotected ones in all popular formats, for your easily copying and enjoying on any device.
With H264 AVC Converter, you can get incredible video files, owing to its unmatchable video editing features. It allows you to trim, crop, merge your video according to your requirements.
It is also available to enhance your video quality by adjusting video "Effect" (Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Deinterlacing), and more.

flag this »

144     December 23, 2009 - 8:42am | ghandi

Bear sightings are most

Bear sightings are most popular scenes of old black and white movies.

flag this »

142     December 21, 2009 - 6:13am | louve

Mass-produced stock lots

Mass-produced stock lots everyday,tiffany jewellery 98% items on our web are in stock now.

wholesale Inspired Tiffany tiffany jewelryjewelry,tiffany & co 925,sterling silver necklaces chains.

Unique tiffany and co earrings collection will be the perfect choice for those elegant and graceful ladies when attending some important occasions.

Just one pair of discount tiffany jewelry may easily catch people’s eyes and make you become the shiniest star in the spotlight.

When you are a faithful fan of Tiffany, and eager to own tiffany jewelry on sale , it is necessary for you to see some useful and effective information. Above of the introduction I hope it is helpful to you.

flag this »

141     December 20, 2009 - 10:40pm | Anny

Today I still want tell you

Today I still want tell you something jewelry stores because Tiffany jewelry is also my favorite jewelry.

New customers can order samples to check tiffany jewelry our quality.

Mass-produced stock lots everyday,tiffany jewellery 98% items on our web are in stock now.

wholesale Inspired Tiffany tiffany jewelryjewelry,tiffany & co 925,sterling silver necklaces chains.

Unique tiffany and co earrings collection will be the perfect choice for those elegant and graceful ladies when attending some important occasions.

flag this »

138     October 5, 2009 - 3:38pm | gowithwind888

Need to Decide on the

Need to Decide on the Perfect Prom Dress from Jovani ?

Purchasing a promenade dress is a rite of passage for many teenage girls. Finding the ideal
Wedding Dresses,Prom Dresses,bridesmaid dresses,Plus Size Wedding Dresses,wedding Dresses are the start to an evening you may remember for future years, and one that may be heavily documented for many a future husband or family get together. If you are patient, start shopping early to get the dress you want. If you are pragmatic about what will look good and what's in your budget, you're sure to get a dress that causes you feel terrific and that you will happily look back on in all those footage.

Jovani is one of the most well liked promenade designers this year, virtually every online store is featuring their Wedding Dresses,Plus Size Wedding Dress,Informal Wedding Dress,Bridesmaid Dress,Prom Dresses,Mother of the Bride Dress. If you have one of theirs in mind, ensure you order early to get your size and to allow for alterations. Jovani promenade dresses are sleek and attractive with a body hugging torso and many with slits "up to here" or flounces that show off your curves.

flag this »

137     October 5, 2009 - 9:46am | jkl338802

1 秋天賞楓何處去酒店

秋天賞楓何處去酒店經紀,安排韓國旅遊有獨到心得的寶馬旅行社表示 酒店打工,秋遊韓國的重點就是美食、溫泉、還有雪嶽山美麗秋景。位於江原道 酒店兼差束草、襄陽、麟蹄一帶的雪嶽山,是韓國最早楓葉轉紅的地方,也由於雪嶽山一年四季都有奇岩絕璧 酒店兼職
、溪谷瀑布等美景,吸引了許多觀光客前來旅遊。一到 酒店工作秋天,以雪嶽山的最高峰~大青峰(1,708公尺)為首,雪嶽山各主要登山路線沿途的楓葉把山染 酒店上班成一片紅色的圖畫,美不勝收。

標榜「全程無自費」,相當受旅客歡 寒假打工迎,而且價格相當平易近人,只要14500元即可成行。另外還有全程五星酒店、海陸空版的「戀戀秋濟^海陸空濟州4日」 暑假打工,同樣獨家全程無自費!緊張刺激360度噴射快艇(價值韓幣25000元)、飛天熱氣球(價值韓幣25000元) 酒店PT、海水溫泉汗蒸幕(價值韓幣8000元) 禮服酒店等,海、陸、空讓您玩的盡興也只要13900元!現在就去體驗韓國秋天的美景吧~

驚險摩托車秀HAPPY TOWN 兼差價值韓幣12000元):表演者以機車為主,靈活的玩弄, 打工全世界只有兩組特技人員能做的高難度表演,在一個小時的演出中還有空中飛人﹑民俗雜技和大車輪 台北酒店經紀等表演,保證讓您大呼過隱,不虛此行喝花酒 特技令人嘖嘖稱奇。而享譽全球的國寶級亂打秀(價值韓幣45000元),是韓國人獨創的敲擊樂表演,故事的場景是發生在廚房中,因此所謂的樂器就是就地以鍋碗等廚房交際應酬 用具敲 打出澎湃的節奏。在沒有冷場的過程裡,不需要語言您就可以清楚知道劇情粉味的發展,台上演員還會與台下觀眾互動演出,整場歡笑不斷。

去過的旅客都津津樂道的酒店喝酒韓文化生活體驗營」,讓您親手體驗泡菜製作,穿著傳統韓服更能體驗韓國婦女的優雅!另外,精緻好吃的韓國美食當然也不能 酒店不嚐:鮑魚太極人蔘雞、長壽麵、、黑毛豬烤肉、還有獨家特色餐「?花魚定食+五花肉+鐵板馬肉+?料」「生猛海鮮大餐」等等讓人食指大動。酒店經紀酒店經紀酒店兼差酒店打工酒店上班酒店經紀酒店小姐酒店打工酒店兼差 酒店工作 彩妝酒店經紀酒店酒店領檯整型美白

flag this »

136     July 15, 2009 - 11:57am | akorchid

Black Bear

7/14/09 around Northern Lights across from Baptist Temple in condo area around 6:00 a.m. This bear has been hanging around and seen from time to time since June 30th. May wonder off Cheney Lake area and surrounding wooded area to hide during the day but seems to wonder around early morning.

flag this »

135     November 2, 2008 - 2:36pm | AKBoxers

bear sighting off of Elmore

I saw a large black bear today while walking my dog (probably the same bear seen on 11/1) crossing 64th off of Elmore with a bag of trash in it's mouth. It headed toward the woods, and was about 6 houses down, from Elmore, on 64th.
People need to stop putting/leaving their trash out! This bear is obviousy going to stick around so long as there is trash to get into....

flag this »

134     November 1, 2008 - 6:57pm | yoginijt

Black Bear in Ruth Arcand Park

Yesterday, while horseback riding in Ruth Arcand Park, the Equestrian Center off Abbott Road, we encountered a large black bear walking toward us on the trail. We stopped our horses, the bear turned around and walked away from us. We then also turned and walked in the opposite direction.

flag this »

133     October 22, 2008 - 9:12pm | ptplace

Black bear on Candywine near Elmore and Lore. 10.22.08, 9.30 pm

A black bear systematically went through a row of houses eating trash tonight between 9.30 and 10. It was scared away by a friend pulling up in a car but it paused long enough to pick up a whole bag and run off with it into the woods.

I am buying a bear proof trash can this weekend.

flag this »

132     October 13, 2008 - 12:31pm | jtotemoff

Elmore and Abbott

Ran off a black bear last Thursday, fairly good sized, must be the same one whos hanging near the Zoo.

Quick question, to those who have posted in the last few months about yelling at bears trying to feed on moose and their calves, are you aware you are interfering with the natural order of life feeding on life? And when that bear doesnt get the moose its trying for, its going to be hungrier and more desperate to get a meal? That meal might be your dog or God forbid, a human that finds itself in the bears path.
Let the bears feed on the moose, thats what they are supposed to do. At least they arent going for your garbage, right?

flag this »

April 30, 2009 - 6:42am | dtigers528

Good post!!

Good post!!

flag this »

131     October 10, 2008 - 10:40pm | yoginijt

They're not Asleep Yet

Yesterday saw yet another Black Bear. Third one in three weeks. I was working on my computer and he walked up the stairs to our deck and right in front of the window I was sitting at. He snooped around the deck, then went down the other set of stairs and moved into the neighbors yard...found trash there and sat down to eat. Area near the Alaska Zoo.

flag this »

130     October 10, 2008 - 4:00am | paulcook

Dam, I'm so jealous!!

I'm so jealous! I'm from Scotland and I'm totally into bears. Born in the wrong country probably. Anyway, I've had a couple of memorable solo trips to bear country in the last 20yrs (British Columbia and then Alaska). Walking the trails was just the most exciting experience. It must be just amazing to live next to wilderness. You're so lucky! It will be a while before I can muster the cash to go for another trip. Until then, your accounts of bear encounters keep me enthralled!

flag this »

July 13, 2009 - 9:59am | zidaralaska

No bears in Scotland

The Romans valued "Hibernian bears" for gladiator fights. By the end of the Roman occupation of Britain there were no more bears in Scotland. They'd hunted them all out. Consequently, there is no record of a single bear attack on a human in British history.

flag this »

October 12, 2008 - 10:57am | somewhereIntime

I hear you..

Jealous as HELL....LOL

These people don't realize how lucky they are to be able to see these bears in their yard !!

flag this »

129     October 3, 2008 - 1:27pm | LoriGo

Black Bear on Lake Otis

We saw a black bear run across Lake Otis, near 68th on 9/29/08..around 9:30 pm

flag this »

128     October 1, 2008 - 10:14am | drand

Brown Bear Charging

I had a large, brown bear agressively charge me near my home on Friday afternoon. I was mountain biking with my dog on Moen trail; Barley and I have had many run-ins with bears this year but this was very different.

We were going downhill on Moen Trail. This trail connects Goldenview just south of Bluebell with Potter Valley Drive near the bridge. We were going slow downhill and making lots of noise as this is a “bear-y” area and the trail was sloppy from all of the recent rain. Barley, a Goldendoodle, was out in front by about 20’ and was wearing a bear-bell. I was yelling out so I wouldn’t surprise a bear.

I was about ¾ of a mile down the trail when I heard a ruckus up ahead: grunting/growling and crunching branches. I was expecting an ornery moose that have been prevalent lately. What I got was a 1000lb, angry, charging, brown-bear.

I was at a full stop and yelling when the bear came out of the alders roaring at me. I was straddling my bike going for my pepper spray that was strapped to my cross-bar. But the bear was litterally in my face before I could get the spray out.

I didn’t know if I should I punch it in the nose or continue to go for my pepper-spray. Instead I did neither. I stood my ground and yelled at it for all I was worth. Which was quite easy to do since I was scared silly and I really couldn’t go anywhere.

And just as quickly that it was in my face, it turned and ran off down the trail.

It all happened within seconds and inches.

Barley, who has chased off lots of black bears for me this summer, wasn’t as effective against a big brown. He apparently had doubled-back around me; as the bear turned off and ran down the trail Barley came from behind me and gave a couple of half-hearted barks and slowly trotted after the bear.

And that was the end of it.

The interesting thing was that I didn’t startle or surprise this bear. It heard me well before it saw me. Yet it still aggressively came at me. Rick Sinnott, the AF&G biologist thinks it was defending a moose kill which makes sense to me.

I don’t know what the lesson is here. I think more than anything I was lucky. But I did hold my ground. I will however, practice going for my bear-spray and be quicker on the draw. I did get the spray out as soon as it turned away from me, but I decided not to spray it in the ass; it was already retreating.

Have that pepper spray readily available and practice your quick draw!

-Dave

flag this »

March 9, 2010 - 12:01am | kevinzzz

good

good try
louis vuitton alma louis vuitton monogram louis vuitton vernis louis vuitton luggage bags fake handbags buy prada replicas Replica louis vuitton handbags for less louis vuitton speedy 30 louis vuitton speedy 25 louis vuitton speedy 40 louis vuitton speedy damier fake bags uk mirror image louis vuitton handbags louis vuitton diaper bags fake louis vuitton diaper bags gucci diaper bags on sale chanel leather bags knockoff prada handbags imitation Gucci Handbags chanel 2.55 replica chanel 2.55 handbags chanel wallets chanel faux handbags replica handbags chanel bag uk prada replicas chanel flap bags chanel Denim bags imitation handbags on sale gucci imitation handbags prada imitation handbags faux designer handbags designer inspired handbags ladies designer handbags buy designer handbags bottega veneta for sale Faux louis vuitton handbags faux gucci handbags faux hermes bags louis vuitton faux handbags chanel faux handbags on sale imitation bags buy imitation prada bags imitation bags online imitation bags uk imitation bags china
replica designer watches top grade replica designer watches best replica watches Replica watches imitation watches Omega replica watches high quality replica cartier watches knock off tag watches swiss replica watches replica breitling buy fake rolex watches cheap watches for sale imitation rolex sale buy replica watches Breitling watches uk cartier watches 2010 Chopard men watches from China Rolex men's watches

flag this »

October 3, 2008 - 1:25pm | LoriGo

Really Scary...

I wonder if it is the same brown bear we had in our yard in August....It didn't seem very hairy, but was really large, and really fat. We live off of Goldenview, on the North side of Rabbit Creek Rd.

I can't imagine being charged by one...I was shook up, just having it in our yard.

flag this »

October 2, 2008 - 1:21pm | somewhereIntime

Scary

I can't imagine how scared you must have been !!
Sounds like you did the right thing, though.

You said it was 1000lbs. how do you know this ?
That is a BIG BEAR.
Was it standing up when it was in your face ?

What I would have given to see this !!
Glad you are ok and your dog !!

flag this »

October 3, 2008 - 10:42am | drand

Thanks for your comments.

Thanks for your comments. I was quite scared and am still quite freaked out by the whole thing. When I say 1000# bear, that is my educated guess. I've seen a fair amount of big brown bears up close at Brooks Camp in Katmai and on the Kenai and of course at the AK zoo and Alaska Wildlife conservation center. I've also seen a lot of close-up black bears around our house and out on the trails.

The head on this one was large but not the largest I've seen. But it was a fully mature brown and it was very well-fed; in fact it was fat. When it ran off, it was shaking all around; its coat was rippling. So that's where I came up with #1000.

And the bear never did stand up. It was in charging mode. But its head came up to around shoulder height. His mouth was less than a foot from my right arm which was up and around the height of my chest. And it was slightly downhill from me.

flag this »

127     September 26, 2008 - 1:12pm | yoginijt

Another Black Bear

Another Black Bear in our driveway this morning. Not the same one as seen on the 22nd. Again, we live near the AK Zoo. Did get some photos and will post them.

flag this »

126     September 22, 2008 - 10:31pm | yoginijt

Black Bear

Large black bear on our deck this morning. Beautiful creature! We live near the AK Zoo.

flag this »

125     September 9, 2008 - 2:58pm | klmredmond

Bear

On Labor Day we went up to Trailside Elementary School and down the gully to the Hillside Trail System. We did our run up to Hillside Ski area, around Besh Loop and back to the school. I got there before my husband and was waiting for him. After several minutes I started back down the gully to the trail and stopped when I saw a black bear sow and her cub on the side of the trail. I backed up and let her have the trail and after looking at me for a bit, she took off with her cub and another cub that was hidden at first. I was very happy when my husband came down the trail 10 minutes later after taking a wrong turn. Glad I didn't get between her and her cubs! Unfortunately, no pictures.

flag this »

123     September 2, 2008 - 2:43pm | LoriGo

Black Bear #11

Saw a black bear getting into all the garbage cans that had been set out for pick-up on Monday morning...on 142nd.

No one else seeing bears these days?

flag this »

122     August 20, 2008 - 8:48am | LoriGo

Bear #10 - This time it was a grizzly

We had a VERY large grizzly bear in the yard last night, off 142nd & Goldenview. It laid there eating clover...when my husband went out on the deck to video tape it, it just looked at him, and went back to eating. Not afraid at all....

Just like we have "City" moose, who have absolutely no fear, we now have "City" bears...once they find out we don't taste all that bad, it's going to turn into a huge problem. It is wrong that we can no longer feel safe in our own yard.

flag this »

October 14, 2008 - 7:05am | ilikepolarbears

simple solution

Never be outdoors alone and always make sure you can run faster than your partner...

flag this »

121     August 15, 2008 - 7:52am | anch_alaska

Bear Discussion

The other day i thought i would go for a jog down the new 48th Ave clearing that parallels tudor road from Boniface to Elmore. Guess what I saw a bear. With the new Elmore extension and the new activity on the 48th Ave extension, I wonder if this has displaced some bears? Elmore road crosses right through bicentennial and over the campbell creek. Elmore road has a fence on either side which creates a barrier for bears moving from east to west along campbell creek. And the new 48th Ave extension runs east and west running close to campbell creek. The new Elmore road and 48th Ave extension I think has displaced some bears. Any comments?

flag this »

September 22, 2008 - 2:41pm | blatzrox

Yeah, all that's well & good, but.....

QUIT RUNNING IN BEAR COUNTRY!!! YOU'RE ASKING THE BEAR TO CHASE YOU & EAT YOU!!

flag this »

120     August 14, 2008 - 2:11pm | LoriGo

Black Bear #9

142nd & Goldenview...walked through the yard last night. It was a large adult...

flag this »

118     August 13, 2008 - 10:59am | DoggyDoorman

Gov. Hill near Water Tower

Black Bear 11:30 AM HEADING UP from the square & Round Dance Center towards the water tower.

flag this »

117     August 11, 2008 - 11:33am | Bow

Bear, Bear and more Bear

Mile 5 Eagle river road, July 5th, arrived home from grocery store to find black bear standing in my drive way. That brings the count to 5 black and one grizzly in last year and half. I have lived at this location for 32 years and the sighting are increasing.
After three mauling in Anchorage and Eagle River plus numerous missed attacks I wonder when the city is going to start darting these bears and moving them too less populated area. We don’t have to kill these animal but we do have to protect our children.
Are the mayor and the city going to wait until several small children are killed before doing something? Please don’t let some bar room macho Alaskan tell us that the bears were here first. There are plenty of wildernesses for them

flag this »

116     August 10, 2008 - 4:44pm | joe_cool3269

Brown Bear in Eagle River

Was getting ready to go fishing this morning when a big old brown bear came from around the house. He looked like he was in a hurry and almost ran over the truck. Anyways I live on Teklaninka here in Eagle River.

flag this »

114     August 8, 2008 - 10:19am | alaskahigh

Bears in yards, DeArmoun and Lake Otis area

8/04/08 to 8/07/08 One large black bear in yard, two days. Then next day a smaller one. These bears are not scared away by people or loud noises. The smaller one would not move off road so I could pull into driveway and park. I waited ten minutes for it to move. Honking the horn did not help. It finally sauntered away.

We have had a brown bear around this summer, also. We have no garbage out, no bird feeders and I feed the dogs inside. Have to keep dogs in large fenced kennel, now. I don't want them to go after one of these bears. I'm sure the bears could come into it if they chose to. With the recent attacks, Kenai, Anchorage, Juneau, having bears around, regularly, scares me.

The occasional bear, every few years, that we didn't see except for it's scat was okay. This seeing bears every summer and more than once is not okay.

I'm no longer comfortable in my own yard. We are at the end of the road and a bit secluded. I don't feel as lucky as some might want me to. I won't let my grandkids play in the yard.

flag this »